Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
854 Posts
Definitely will need front disc brakes, consider changing out the glide for a TH350, you indicated you had air bags in the rear. The biggest concern would be the rear frame and hitch, Chevelle frame rails, including El Caminos, are not exactly the strongest ones out there and the hitches I have seen out there leave a bit to be desired. Trailer should also have electric brakes or similar. Caminos are cool and nice, but GM really did not design them for trailering. FWIW

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Hook it up and try it. The car will let you know what the weak link is.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Anymore it seems like people will tell you it's unsafe to tow anything unless you have an $80,000 dually with a turbo diesel. It's simply not true. I think you'll be fine.
Have you been on the RV forums, lots of weight police there?

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
1971 Chevy Malibu Sport Coupe
76 Posts

Patrick, this is the set up I used to tow in the late 70s. My dad made the trailer from scrap metal and the front spindles from our 64 Impala. I'm sure I towed it thousands of miles, and I gave the trailer to my brother in law and he's still using it. The longest trips were from northern Colorado to NE Nebraska. The heaviest load I ever had was a load of landscape rock. I only went about 10 miles and really took it easy.

I also had two 86 El Caminos and hauled just about everything under the sun. The heaviest load was tools and car parts when a buddy was moving his shop. The load put the frame down on the axel and I pumped up the air shocks. Again, only went about 15 miles. As I recall, the 86 manual recommended no loads over 500 lbs.

Another reply referenced that brakes for the loads you want to tow will be really important and I agree.

I hate to admit all my experiences when I was young and uninformed. Be careful.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Have you been on the RV forums, lots of weight police there?
LOL, no. Just on this forum and some drag racing forums it seems like current group-think is that you need a one-ton truck to tow a car on an open trailer.

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
800 ft lbs diesel or nothing man! :D

Dont tell DZAuto who has towed thousands of miles with his "coupe". He dint get the memo!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I pulled this '54 F100 on a trailer out of a farmyard with my '72 Monte 350/TH400 using a U-Haul trail hitch back in the early 80's. it was about 20 miles on a flat highway and I kept it about 55mph without any trouble.You can see the hitch in the second picture...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
This topic has been discussed several times here, but it's been a long time since and was generally about towing a car hauler. I'd like to tow a small vintage Airstream of around 14' - 18' length and around 2,000 - 3,000 lbs. I will also put my 300lb. trail bike in the bed. My Elky has a stock 327 p/g, original brakes (all new components) and stock springs with air bags (love them!). I would probably add heavy duty springs all around, a tranny cooler, and perhaps front discs. I don't have a hitch yet. Is this a viable plan? Should I shoot for a camper that's under 2,000 lbs, Airstream is making them again? I'd love to hear stories of real-life experiences of folks towing travel trailers with their Elkys or Chevelle Wagons. I've already heard the stories about towing cars with an El Camino (bad idea), and, no, I don't need your advice telling me to go out and buy a $60,000 tow rig. All considered opinions and thoughts welcome and appreciated. Thank you gentlemen.
U haul will build you a frame hitch for that 66 ElCamino and if you install it right the receiver will come out where the license plate is. Put a chevelle license plate holder that folds down and you have a hidden hitch. Friend of mine put one on a 67 wagon which would be the same hitch, I helped him install it. Works great.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The sedan utility vehicle was designed for towing with its boxed frame and h/d rear and suspension. I would upgrade the brakes and make sure the camper has brakes too..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been dealing with a similar situation for the past few years. Quenching the engine/tranny heat will be the biggest hurdle when climbing long steep hills. My tow vehicle is a 1956 Ford Ranchwagon, 302 ci (with RV cam), 3.56 rear end, pulling a one ton (loaded) 1957 Cardinal travel trailer. The GearVendors overdrive helps. The enormous radiator (twin Spal electric 3200 cfm) and separate tranny cooler with fan helps. But on occasion during 90-100° days I need to pull over and idle for 20 minutes. Brakes and suspension can be fit to suit, but the relatively small engine is working hard. I think that will be your limiting factor too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Could you use a 5th wheel trailer instead? or must you use the rear trailer hitch because you already own a light trailer. Tail gate hitch puts all of its load at the rear and 5th wheel can be put in center of bed or even a little more forward. No matter what you use you can't buy it ready to bolt in, you might have to make it. I built a class 3 hitch for my 63 Ford SW and it was bolted in with 10 1/2 fine thread bolts. A chop saw and blades can be your friend.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Yep stopping is the deal breaker.
I have pulled 7000+ lb with 2700 lb vehicles and stopping those loads gets scary even with disc brakes.

I pull a 3000 lb pontoon all around with my 3600lb 57 chevy 4 door no issues.
I say stick a good hitch on and go.

I had a 1980 Pinto 2.3 4 speed 355 posi track that would out pull my brother-in-laws 1985 chevy 305" truck with his automatic trans.

Yea my pinto had a hitch and my 82 mustandg my 78 Nova my 1997 Geo metro had a hitch also and pulled my 57 4 door home once on my trailer.

I got odd looks from that one.

DO IT!

Know your limits and keep a large distance for breaking and put good side mirrors on it or those little stick on circle ones to see way outside the vehicle.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts