Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a tourque converter and 3:73 gears with posi in my 74 monte. I was told that a stall speed of 2500 is MAX for street engine. Will this really quicken the car? Also, is shift kit necessary?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a TCI Streetfighter convertor in my car. It is rated at 3000 RPM stall and it drives around on the street fine. You just have to remember to run a separate tranny cooler. You will also need to make sure that you converter matches the powerband on your cam. If the powerband on your cam begins at 2000RPM, it is kind of a waste to put a 3000RPM stall in the tranny.

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
THE DUDEMOBILE

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just like THE DUDE said, check the powerband of the cam, and a tranny cooler will help. I don't think the tranny cooler is necessary, but it would lengthen the life of your tranny.

BTW... I run a 3000 stall and my car is daily driven.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Louman, based on this and your other post-you need to stop and consider a few things. Your car is a "Package" that must work together. Just like you need more compression to run a (much) hotter cam, hence the need for new pistons or heads for the cam. Same with the trans: your converter's stall speed is best determined by (1) your engine's power characteristics (2) your rear gears, and (3) your driving style.
It's my understanding (if I'm wrong, ANYONE PLEAE correct me!) you should have a converter that stalls below your cruising RPM , otherwise the unit's always slipping. That generates heat, which kills auto trans. So in order to use a better stall, you'll need the corresponding axle ratio to best benefit from that.

As for your cam/head issue-if you're on a tight budget, either get a set of good used 305 small chamber heads, or go with a torque type cam that pulls at low to medium rpm. If you have a little more cash-go with a set of vortech heads or some of the aftermarket heads in a 64cc or smaller chamber to raise your compression.

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
34 Posts
What ever you do dont buy a TCI converter they are junk. I bought one and had problem after problem with it. Not only the converter but the company as well. When I bought my stall I called TCI they told me to buy a superstreet fighter that it would stall around 3500 to 3800 RPM well it stalled at 5200 RPM. They told me to send it back and they would fix it for free but I had to pay the shipping to send it there and to get it back. That cost me 50.00 bucks. OK I did that I got the new converter back and go to put it in well now they sent me the wrong converter for my car and they want me to pay another 50.00 to send it back and to ship the right one to me. If that is not a bunch of $hit then I dont know what is. I would NEVER deal with this company again and hope nobody else does.

------------------
69 chevelle ss 1bad454

·
Registered
279 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markshotrod69:
What ever you do dont buy a TCI converter they are junk. I bought one and had problem after problem with it. Not only the converter but the company as well. When I bought my stall I called TCI they told me to buy a superstreet fighter that it would stall around 3500 to 3800 RPM well it stalled at 5200 RPM. They told me to send it back and they would fix it for free but I had to pay the shipping to send it there and to get it back. That cost me 50.00 bucks. OK I did that I got the new converter back and go to put it in well now they sent me the wrong converter for my car and they want me to pay another 50.00 to send it back and to ship the right one to me. If that is not a bunch of $hit then I dont know what is. I would NEVER deal with this company again and hope nobody else does.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I haven't had problems with a TCI torque converter, but I did have a problem with the company. I'll spare you the long parts.. but basically the first turbo 350 I got from them leaked in about every possible location, and the 'replacement' wouldn't go into second... had to buy a different valve body. Go with a B&M.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

[This message has been edited by ? (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
For a lot more information on this and any other tranny question try this site...
http://turbobuick.com/messagebd/

The moderator of the tranny thread is a member (WE 4)here and will often answer tranny related questions in our Engine and Drivetrain thread.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.