Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. m lost, i bought this car not to long ago, the seller said the headlights didnt work and he was right, the plug on the drivers side light looked burnt. well the brake lights and heater dont work either ( tail lights do work but not brakes) here is what i found while tracing wires and what not. fromt he alternator there is 2 wires that basically go to the passenger headlight, oneis light green, that wire is fine from the time it goese to the passenger headlight untill it gets about 3 inches from the plug for the drivers headlight, then it looks as if it shorted and fried, it friend the side of the headlight plug it goes into and fried all the way back to the fire wall, when i say friend i mean it powdered the green colored surround and melted the factory black tape that all the wires are loomed in. i cant find it in the cab side of the electrical mumbo jumbo, i believe it goese into a plug and comes out through the fire wall as a different color. ( the plug it goese into on the fire wall is the one thats on the firewall behind the booster at 5:30 in relation to the brake booster). i dont know what caused it obviously but ive wired my headlights to a seperate switch so they work. now.. all of my inside stuff works, like the dash lights and dome light but the heater and brake lights still dont work, like i said the tail lights do work just dont change to the brake light when the pedal is depressed. any help or thoughts would be appreciated, i can wire up a stereo in just about any car but this factory wiring is confusing the heck out of me

·
Registered
519 Posts
buy the factory service manual or the CD which has all the wiring diagrams. Then buy a new harness to replace the fried ones and you are good to go. Nothing better than new wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Yeah, if you fried the tape that wraps the harness, the wires in it are way toasted. New harness and a wiring diagram are the only way to go or you'll be chasing intermitent electricals for the rest of your life with this car. Plus, you'll never know when that short will happen that turns it into a marshmello toaster at best, or hurts someone else at worst. Remember, you are carrying 20 gallons of highly flamable gas. It doesn't typically get along well with electrical fires.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,799 Posts
It might help if you would say what kind of car.

You say there are wires running from the alternator to the passenger's side head light?

:confused:

Probably best to just work on one thing at a time

Do you have 12 volts to one side of the brake light switch?

Have you checked for power and ground at the tail light sockets & bulbs?

Do the rear turn signals work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts