Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
In general no, not worth repairing unless it is a high dollar model and then they still need to be calibrated.

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
Rich,
Depending on waht brand it is, and how much it cost, it may or may not be worth getting it fixed. Snap On has a fixed charge to calibrate/repair thier torque wrenches, not sure about Sears etc.

What is the torque range of the wrench, and what setting did you have it at ? A lot of them will not really work well at the bottom of the range.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bill, It's an off brand, goes from 10 to 150#, I've had it for about 15 years and noticed recently that it doesn't click at any setting. I thought maybe a cleaning would get it working again, but yes, it might not even be worth the time I'd have to put into it.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
You've had the same torque wrench for 15yrs!!! Time to buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
you didn't loan it to anyone that used it to Loosen something did you ????

even though there is a toggle to reverse the ratchet action NEVER loosen anything with a Torque wrench !!!

on the repair note ... if its snap-on send it in .... if not its time for a NEW one :)

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
You could try cleaning and oiling it and see if that works. Any penetrating oil should work.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
You do know that these things need to be turned down to the lowest setting after using them, right.

I turn mine down to 30# after I am done with it. Saves the spring.

Occaisionally mine will not click----but a reaction I can feel ever so lightly will happen.
If I release the pressure and pull again--it usually clicks.

Mine is about 15 yrs too.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
You do know that these things need to be turned down to the lowest setting after using them, right.

I turn mine down to 30# after I am done with it. Saves the spring.

Occaisionally mine will not click----but a reaction I can feel ever so lightly will happen.
If I release the pressure and pull again--it usually clicks.

Mine is about 15 yrs too.
I never knew that :clonk:I just bought a new Craftsman. Was assembling my engine, and snapped a rod bolt (my fault though, torqued at 70 ft-lbs when it was supposed to be 50). Then snapped a cam gear bolt. Had torque wrench set at 20 ft-lbs, but still snapped, so not sure if wrench is messed up, or maybe because I never set it back to zero first?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I never knew that :clonk:I just bought a new Craftsman. Was assembling my engine, and snapped a rod bolt (my fault though, torqued at 70 ft-lbs when it was supposed to be 50). Then snapped a cam gear bolt. Had torque wrench set at 20 ft-lbs, but still snapped, so not sure if wrench is messed up, or maybe because I never set it back to zero first?

Craftsman wrenches dont need to be set to THE lowest spec for storage or when not in use, but rather the lower 1/3 of the range (I believe this is in the manual) also any time the wrench sits longer than 15 minutes at one spec (like you have used it, left locked, set it aside and then go to use it again later) should be unlocked, reset to lowe setting, let sit for 5 minutes, then reset to torque value desired (also in the manual)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fianally borrowed a neighbors wrench to torque my flywheel and pressure plate, saved me a trip to the store and I won't be needing it any time soon anyway. But, I did disassemble mine just for kicks and found that the clicker thingy had dried up grease on the roller assy and ball bearings. After cleaning and new grease, I got my click back but at this point it needs recalbration. It seems to me that besides the spring, the wrench should last a long time, especially with the limited use I give it, but after a search on the web for a recalibration procedure, I just put it away. The procedure to recalibrate so it's trustworthy seems pretty complicated, and I'm not sure what to do to adjust it anyway.
Rich

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I have an old Great Neck torque wrence I bought from Autozone. I have had it for almost 10 years now and up til last year it was still working fine.
I would have the Matco Dealer check it every year (really good guy with a great name Jack Daniels!:thumbsup:) for me and it was always within 1-2 lbs.
I haven't used it in a little over a year and I discovered it in the old tool box this winter really wet from the humidity in the garage. I think I'll spring for a new one this year!:yes:

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
Over 45yrs ago, I bought a beam style torque wrench. Then about 30yrs ago I bought a torque wrench that clicks. Used that one 3-4 times, put it back in the box and that's where it's been ever since.
I really prefer to use a beam type torque wrench. ESPECIALLY since you can see when you are coming up on the torque value that you want.

Is the type of torque wrench that clicks better? Don't know, maybe. But I've built more things than I can ever count using a beam torque wrench without ever any kind of problem due to incorrect torque. :thumbsup:

Will I ever change? CERTAINLY, if I see a need to, but up to now, I haven't seen a need to switch.

I've learned to change a lot of things through the years.
For example, at one time, I got everything done by using a slide rule and going to the library. Now I use a computer for EVERYTHING! I don't even know where my old slide rule is. :confused:
Haven't seen the inside of a library since most of you were born. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts