Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a B&M Torkmaster 2000 on my 350 turbo tranny. The converter sits about 3/4 of an inch away from the flywheel and the bolts that came with the stall will work but seem too short to be safe, the flywheel holes that the bolts go in is also a little bigger then the bolts. What is the deal?

·
Registered
111 Posts
72SS, I wouldn't go any futher untill you check things out! No way will the bolts hold the converter steady that far away. I have put a washer between the converter and flexplate to take up 1/16" but not 3/4". Can't the converter move forward any? It should to mate up. Make sure that the hub on the converter is in the crank to align itself or you'll get vibration like you never had before. You might have to take the trans back out to check but it would be worth it. Maybe others can add to this, good luck.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I definitely agree that something doesn't sound right there. My converter mates right up to the flywheel, no extra space at all, I would be very worried otherwise. The hub on the converter should slip right into the crank negating any side to side motion of the converter which is what you want, the hub on the converter would have to be very long before it would hold you out 3/4's of an inch. Is it possible you got the wrong converter?

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
336 Posts
maybe IM off here but Ive found that you just slide the converter forward until it mates. If its installed right in the trans it should just slide forward.. since its new maybe its a little tight. I have a good friend that just installed a new B&M converter.. the towing one.. is it called TowMaster? I forget. anyhow he didnt have any shimming problems like that, and frankly I dont think you should ever have to shim the T.C. at all. MAYBE a 1/16" but anymore than that, i think not. wedge a long screwdriver in there to move the converter forward.. it shouldnt be this hard.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
722 Posts
Be sure it's the right converter. If so always use the bolts supplied. Too long and the bolts will damage the unit. If properly installed , the converter usually has to pushed forward w/ a screwdriver to mate w/ the flywheel . Hardly any pressure at all . jay 65 Malibu Maryland

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
the hub of the torque converter slides into the end of the crankshaft,,,could there be a pilot pushing from an old manual transmission in the end of the crank????? just a thought

------------------
Bob West
Monett,Mo.
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.