Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a difficult time finding the correct torque specifications for my 396 engine. I log on at the local library (which is where I am posting this) and just went and looked in thier automotive reference manuals section and all I could find are intake, heads, flywheel, etc. What I was really looking for is the torque spec for the oil pump. Does any one know this? Its a 66 396 engine. Youd think that this spec is just as important as the ones listed, whats up with that. And yes, I do own a service manual and looked there first.

Thanks for helping, Chris R.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Torque specifications are fasener spicific, not what is being held. The oil pump bolt is very close to the head bolt and therefore torque range should also be the same. On the other hand there's "as tight as you can get it" with a box end wrench. Load is negligable so I wouldn't sweat it much.
Harley

·
Registered
79 Posts
In my experience, using a stud to hold the pump on, you torque it to 60ft/lb. I wouldn't imagine it would be much different with a bolt. You can always put a touch of red loctite on it for some added insurance.

Wes

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,053 Posts
I think 65 lbs is the actual number. The bolt is the same as a short head bolt.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
12,840 Posts
Chris,
Tom has it correct. I just looked it up and it is 65 ft lbs.
BillK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.