Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '70 Elky and I'm wondering if it originally came with side or top post spring-ring cables
. Please help. Thanks.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Mr70MonteCarlo mine had the HD battery, it says so here on the build sheet. Lets see now... here it is option code T60. Thanks that helps a lot.

PS- Do you or does anyone know where I can get a HD battery??

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
My 70 conv is a May built car. It has side terminals.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yes, side terminal batteries were available with the HD battery option. It was mandatory with the SS454, every SS454 ordered had a side terminal battery in 1970. I know this from experience, I ordered a SS454 in March of 1970 and remember being called by the salesman to tell me there was a problem with the order and I needed to order a HD battery to get the SS454. I remember the side terminal battery was a big thing when people looked under the hood, no one had ever seew a side terminal battery before this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In 1970 the T60 HD battery option (mandatory on 454 cars) was a Delco R79 side post. Your buildshhet likely shows a 79W code. I don't believe a repro is available,however the R89 looks very close and is available as a repro.

[This message has been edited by Black LS-6 (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Shawn: I checked the '70 Chassis Service manual and it shows both types; both are called "Enrgizer" without the damned bunny. One thing that is noted in the photo is that the post type battery has individual caps and the side terminal has "manifod and vent plug " type of cap. I do not remember this type of cap on anything but a Corvair, but that may be old age setting in. Also, you cna check the assembly manual which show cable attachments and routings. I do not have a '70 manual, but the '72 assembly manual is pretty clear on this. And, your build sheet may have a box for battery cables which could give confirmation on the type of cables.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. On the build sheet for the battery it says R79W, for the battery (+) cable it says NG and for the (-) cable it says FU. JWagner, you mentioned the manifold caps- are these the ones that are rectangular and cover 3 holes instead of individual caps covering each hole??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.