Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get rid of a top end valve tick on my kids 69, it gets worse with more RPM's and is almost gone at idle. It is a stock 350 (50K). New rings and rod bearings. has a new Edelbrock performer cam, double roller chain, new rockers, new valve springs and pushrods. The lobe on the old cam was might have been whiped on this same valve before we did the motor (I can't remember which one it was). I can't adjust the tick out. The valve and the guide looked good when we replaced the springs. Could an oil journal be plugged somewhere? There seemed to be enough oil to the rocker when we did the valve adjustment. Any help would be great before we tear this down again. (Down time on his Chevelle means he will want to drive My 69SS, touchy subject in this house).
Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited 09-22-99).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Hunter, What did the rocker look like on the valve stem end? If it was beat up it could be causing the tick. Does the rocker have good movement like the rest of them? Just a few things to look at for now.
OOPS, I just reread your post and saw you put new rockers on, but check the rest of what I said.
------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 09-22-99).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
somtimes a small piece of carbon or trash can cause a lifter not to pump up some people have used 1/2 qrt. tranny fluid in oil to clean them.

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
On a previous motor I had bought from a dealer(used cars, motor rebuilt by their mechanic.) I had a top end tick that would not adjust out. I ended up trading the car(got an outrageous deal) and when they pulled the motor they said they found an out of round cam bearing. Not sure how to check that without pulling the motor apart. Can you isolate your tick to a certain cylinder?

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hunter; Sounds like you have used the hose method or something to locate the valve peck. Did you try adjusting the lifter to a different position? Sometimes you can find a sweet spot at near 0 lash or 1 1/2 turns down for example. Also take another close look at the top of the valve stem and check to see it's flat and even. Unusual for an intake to wear odd, but you never know. Probably just a lifter a little out of spec in internal clearance. (Two 69 Chevelles, you guys know how to live!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.