Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fired up my 454 after changing the camshaft, lifters, springs, and intake manifold. I thought the top end sounded a little noisy, so I popped off the valve covers thinking that some adjusting of the valve lash was in order. The rocker adjustments did not seem that loose to me. While turning the engine over remotely with the coil wire unhooked, I noticed that no oil seems to be coming up through the push rods. Why not? Did I overlook something? Engine made 70 PSI oil pressure when I first fired it. Thanks

[This message has been edited by BillB (edited 06-07-99).]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Probably not. If you didn't prime it up before you started it, it will take a little while to prime it up. Should take no more than a few minutes though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add that while the engine was running, it had 70 PSI of oil pressure. Still no oil up top. Bumming me out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you solid or Hyd. Try backing off rockers a little. Start engine, back off back rocker till it starts making a noise and see if it starts oiling. If it does then back off on all of them until they start. Then reset lash.

L

·
0 Posts
If you don't see oil on top while just cranking it over with the starter, i wouldn't worry about it. That's not a good indication. Start it up and pull off the oil filler cap. Shine a light in there and you'll likely see all kinds of oil. Also, if you think it's been running without oil up top, pull a rocker and look for galling.

·
Registered
47 Posts
BILLB,

If you used cam lube break-in material on the push rod ends both at the lifter and at the rocker arm end it will take just a couple of minutes for the cam lube to get washed away, fill up the push rods themselves and then start quirting oil all over the place. I use cam lub on both ends to prevent gauling as the new push rods get accustom to their new lifter and rocker arm partners.

As has been said above shine a light in where the oil is added and you should see things start to percolate in a short time period.

If you have broken in the cam - 20 to 30 minutes of operation at or above 2000 rpm and there isn't any oil up top, then something is wrong.

I like to hold the push rods up to the sky and look through each one as a last step before installation. If you cannot see light through each one trash or something inside is the problem. It is doubtfull that all 16 would be blocked in you case.

Each push rod was seated nicely in each lifter pocket when you did your valve train adjustments?

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.