Team Chevelle banner

Took the 64 for a Spin today,

693 23
Still working the bugs out, got it running and driving good. Trying to figure out what direction want to go with it. Currently has a 350/290 crate with a TH350
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,225 Posts
Reactions: wes migletz

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND looking good!!! Why not just drive it and continue to enjoy it as-is then?
I wish I could leave well enough alone. It does need an OD trans. We drive our cars a lot, and do a couple long trips/year in them. The Chevelle is relatively new to us, and we’re still sorting it out.

Reactions: LeoP

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I donnow Wes, from TX I might head east to FL, or west to southern California! What's wrong with her just the way she is!?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving! Unfortunately, we’re no longer in TX, my C10 and wife’s Blazer are being stored there. I’m working out of Tupelo now, and I’m keeping the Chevelle and 57 at our place in Hendersonville, TN. Plan to drive the Chevelle to Tupelo Sunday morning. I don’t have a tach, but the car is buzzing pretty good at 65 mph.

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
If you want to put some miles on Id go with a 2004R trans, Im getting ready to remove the T400 in my 68 and put in the 2004R I bought from another TC member

· Registered
4,210 Posts
Dude those wheels really look fantastic on that nice looking Chevelle!! I never thought of that combo!!

Those third generation Chevrolet Rally wheels are some of the best wheels going. Kelsey Hayes really made some of the best wheels.

I would put a stock seventies, low compression truck 454 with a TH-400. This combo runs best with a 3:08 or a 2:73 rear end. What ever you decide make sure it runs on 87 octane or it will be a pain in the ass and expensive to run.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude those wheels really look fantastic on that nice looking Chevelle!! I never thought of that combo!!

Those third generation Chevrolet Rally wheels are some of the best wheels going. Kelsey Hayes really made some of the best wheels.

I would put a stock seventies, low compression truck 454 with a TH-400. This combo runs best with a 3:08 or a 2:73 rear end. What ever you decide make sure it runs on 87 octane or it will be a pain in the ass and expensive to run.
That would be a sweet combo, but I’d be a little worried about keeping it cool. I had a 496 in my old 65, and it was a nightmare in traffic, even just hitting a couple stoplights in a row. I used to have a 2.56 posi, I wish I’d have kept it.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Looks real nice. It’s a good day when you can get a Chevelle out on the road.

Reactions: wes migletz

· Registered
4,884 Posts
Still working the bugs out, got it running and driving good. Trying to figure out what direction want to go with it. Currently has a 350/290 crate with a TH350
View attachment 755065 View attachment 755067
Sweet ride. My friend who worked at 10,000 auto parts had that same car as yours but it had a original straight 6 banger. So what did he do? put in a SBC and painted it Mustard Yellow, YUK. I just loved his '64 Malibu SS convert with the 6 as it was super cool and rare, plus the car had a 4 speed, nothing wrong with one like yours that has a nice SBC but the 6 cyl made it just different. Love the wheels you used also.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 64 was supposed to be just like that one, only a PO painted it metallic blue. I envy you having a driveable one!! Enjoy!!
It’s been too long since I had a nice driver. The heater even works. Took it out on the freeway today for the first time. It did good. I think it’s ready for the 230 mile trip to Tupelo Sunday AM.

The choke on the Edelbrock carb isn’t fully releasing, but a slight tap on the linkage on the driver side and it drops into a nice idle. I’m going to try to sort it out today.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet ride. My friend who worked at 10,000 auto parts had that same car as yours but it had a original straight 6 banger. So what did he do? put in a SBC and painted it Mustard Yellow, YUK. I just loved his '64 Malibu SS convert with the 6 as it was super cool and rare, plus the car had a 4 speed, nothing wrong with one like yours that has a nice SBC but the 6 cyl made it just different. Love the wheels you used also.
Years ago I got the center console for my 65 off a 6 cyl SS that was being parted out. Found it advertised in the local recycler paper being parted out. The wheels are starting to grow on me, but if I can find a set of 14” rally 2 wheels, and some decent new14” tires,I’d like to run the stock hub caps.

· Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Beautiful car! I would drive that as often as possible.

For an over drive I put a TKO600 in mine about 13 years ago. Better ratios than a Muncie in my opinion, plus overdrive, but it doesn't shift as well as a 4 speed.

Devin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts