Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Zac is FINALLY going to get his first (and of course maybe only) ride in a P51.
Last weekend at the Altus AFB airshow, Dr. Hisey told Zac that he would take him up tomorrow (of course, weather permitting).
Many of you know that Dr. Hisey's P51 (Miss America) isn't jut any P51, it's been modified for air racing.
We'll be going to the airport about 8am. I won't be working on our A-26 tomorrow because I had knee surgery this morning (and drove the 56 4sp Vette to a car show this afternoon, if you can believe that!). So, I'll just spend the morning taking pictures of Zac and Miss America and I'll try to get a few videos.

"Race" engine (Merlin) being installed.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Zac's a lucky guy! Man, that'd be awesome. Have fun and good luck on the recovery (looks like you get that part down by driving the Vette :) ). I'll be waiting for those pics and videos to be posted :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I'm SO jealous!! Hope he has a wonderful time, and best wishes to you for a quick recovery!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Where do they get parts to repair/ rebuild these planes? We all know how hard Chevelle parts are to find. I can't imagine where to find those parts.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No ride for Zac in Miss A today.
Dr. Hisey was on call last night and had an emergency at the hosp this morning. When we got to his hanger, he was just coming back from taking some young lady for a ride and then had to leave.

So, we checked out a really nice T28 that he had in the hanger.

They put Miss A back in the hanger and Dr. Hisey told Zac to come out about 7:30 next Sat and they would go for a ride then.

So we left and went over to the terminal building. Dave had taxied the black A26 up to the terminal building so that people could come out and take a little tour. There were a few maintenance items to take care of, which we did right there on the ramp in front of the terminal while people were coming around to see the plane.
We finished the maintenance items, went in to eat lunch then came out, cranked up the engines and taxied it back over to the tie down spot. It's all ready now for next Saturday's air show at Ft. Smith. I won't be on the plane next Sat, but you guys over in Ark come on over to Ft. Smith.
I will be with the plane in 2wks at Tinker AFB for that airshow if anyone can make that show.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Tom,

Too bad he missed out on his ride. I'm sure it will be worth the wait when he finally gets to go.

BTW, your friends have some pretty cool toys!

Wes

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's some awesome stuff there!
This Dr. friend of yours has good taste in aircraft. :D

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hilsey's planes are immaculate, so is his hangar floor.
Did Dr. Hilsey have the P51 at the San Diego, Ca. Red Bull Race on May 3-4.
Rich,
I don't think Dr. Hisey took anything out there.
He has been pretty busy with his work lately, plus, he is in the middle of rebuilding/restoring a T-28 (like the real nice one above) and he is building (almost from scratch) a P-51C. At this very moment, ALL that he has for the P-51C is the front frame which cradles the engine. As I understand, he has located bits and pieces and is having them shipped here for assembly.
This is the front (engine) frame for the C model. The very first time I saw it, I thought it was a custom engine stand for holding one of the Merlins. And I was quickly informed that it was a P-51C that they are building!!!

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Do they not have dust or pollen in Oklahoma? I never saw anything that clean :)

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do they not have dust or pollen in Oklahoma? I never saw anything that clean :)
Yep, but they have lots of Windex and rags! :D
You gotta keep in mind, Dr. Hisey is a neuro surgeon, so he likes for things to be kind of clean. :cool:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
If Zak gets a ride in that thing, he is one lucky dog !
I've wanted a ride in one almost my entire life.

Ah heck with riding, I wanna fly one !:hurray:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.