Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got home from vacation and went to use my desktop computer. When trying to connect it to the internet, it would not saying limited or no conectivity. I ran the repair icon that came up and it said it could not fix it and to contact the provider. I called Verizon Fios and the tec got me working again by changing something in the network configutation properties. from auto as it should, changed to 10m../full or something like that. The tec told me a windows update came out and this was the cause for my problems and I need to get a network driver update to fix it. I have no idea but it is much slower doing downloads, so I want to get it fixed.

I have a Dell dimension e510 service tag 1w86pb1 built 08/27/06
Running xp
Verizon Fios internet

Im not to good with this computer stuff so if you guys can help it would be great.:yes:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You need to know what speed and duplex settings the the port the other end of the cable is connected to wants to or is set at in order to set the computer network port. Both the devices are almost certainly capable of 100FD so 10FD may be incorrect.

Assuming its a wired connection, which it sounds like, there's a LAN cable connected to the computer. What is the other end connected to? Probably either a switch/router, or the fiber converter. Look at that device and/or check the docs for it to find out if it wants to be 10, 100, 1000 or auto, and duplex half, full, or auto.

Then go to Start, Settings, Network, Local area connection, Properties, Configure, Advanced and make the settings match. The selections are actually from Win2000, so they may not be exactly the same in XP. The idea here is that both ends are set the same.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Your tech is probably right. Recent XP updates killed a lot of software programs and also drivers for hardware. This is a problem that Microsoft is ignoring and leaving on the shoulders of the customer like you.
If your hardware manufacturer hasn't come up with a new driver, and you are able to use the computer as it is, just leave it alone until they come out with a new driver to fix Microsoft's mistake.
It appears that Microsoft killed the ability of your network hardware to autonegotiate the network connection speed. For internet use, 10mbps is plenty fast and you shouldn't notice any drop in speed because most likely your internet connection is slower than that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just a update for all of you that helped. I installed what driver updates were available, and the problem still existed. I called back to verizon tech and the lady ran speed tests and such showind a download speed of less the 500mbps. It was slow. She had a tech come out to my house and it was the router that was bad all along. Im back to download speeds of over 10000mbps. Kinds makes me mad that the first expert was so quick to blame everything else, never mentioned possible equipment failure, and told me I had to live with it untill microsoft makes a driver to fix a problem that never existed. Thanks to all for the help:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts