Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any live examples of this, but I'm toying with the idea of stripes on my 67 ( going to the paint shop Friday). My understanding is that these were simply an option. Would they have been black or white over Bolero Red? Were they popular? Was it an SS only option? Thnx.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Gene,
Ive seen those stripes, I think they look sharp. Black would look good.

Jeff

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gene, You should get a fair amount of opinions on this but, I say No stripes! I saw a 67 with stripes and it didn't seem right to me..IMHO. Pin stripes might be ok looking. It's your call. Maybe someone got pics of 67s with stripes they can post for you.

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've never heard of that option Gene, but whatever floats your boat. Last months TC feature car was a blue 67 with black stripes. Check it out.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

[This message has been edited by SoCalRat (edited 11-17-99).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Gene, you weren't referring by any chance to the factory optional D96 stripe? There is a picture on this site of such a car, though I doubt too many pick out when they see it: www.chevelles.com/feature/skips67.html . Skip was right into the 67's, and he faithfully reproduced the D96 stripe on his really beautiful SS. The lower stripe is thicker and breaks at the wheel opening; while a thinner upper stripe parallels the lower stripe but also runs around the wheel opening. Besides Skip's car I've seen only 2 others ever.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,667 Posts
Gene, Two types of SS stripes were used in '67. One goes along the lower body and over the wheelwells as described. The other is identical but without the over-the-wheelwell portion. Personally I like the latter. I think the stripes add something to a '67 SS and being not real common is even better. I don't know what the color combos were in '67, but in '69 with red, you got black stripes unless you had a white vinyl or convertible top, in which case you got white stripes. von

·
Registered
313 Posts
The side stripes along the lower crease were either black or white, as I recall. I have seen a red car with white stripes and white interior and it looked very good. I also prefer the 5 piece per side vs. 7. The color and 5/7 choice were the only options with respect to stripes that I have heard about. If you are talking about 70 style band aid stripes, please don't! I have seen a couple of those and it just doesn't look good to me.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
My original 67 was tahoe turq. and came with white stripes over the wheel openings although I don't recall ordering the stripes. The 67 I now own is Bolero red and I think I will try the white but unsure about the over the wheel opening section.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thnx for the opinions. The stripes I was considering are the D96 stripes like Skips, not over the wheel openings. Around these parts I haven't yet seen anyone run the stripes on a 67 or anything earlier. I like the simple graphic and I'm thinking it'll give the car a more original look. Judging from what you fellas say, they would have come in black on my 67 since the interior is black.

Other than the engine and ladder bars, the car is all original or put back to original and I'd like to play out that theme some more. I'm actually considering running hub caps over my 71/72 SS wheels to complete the look.

No only if I could hide those fat BFG Drags on the back!!

Thnx again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gene, let me back up here a second. The stripes like on Skip's car look really nice. When you said stripes the first thing I thought of was two wide stripes comming down the hood & trunk lid <thats the kind of stripes I don't like on 67s>(No offence meant to those with these type of stripes)

P.S. Make sure you get the unremovable type stripes

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 11-18-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe, I'm really glad you agree. No, I wouldn;t put those "racing" stripes on her. Not correct. They look real "bad" on the newer Chevelles (70-72) and all old Camaros though.

Odd, I actually printed out a pic of Skip's 427 ( inspriration you know)and never noticed the black stripes until today!

I've seen the stripe kits in Year One and probably Ground Up has them too. Unremovable, huh?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 11-18-99).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone out there have racing stripes on a '68 or '69? I've read that they were an option in late '69, but I can't find a kit for them. What do you all think of these stripes on a '68 or '69?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I thought the same as Joe454. I've also seen the side stripes in red on a black 67 SS396.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It depended on the color of your interior and exterior to determine what color stripes you got. I know I have never seen a 70 Chevelle SS painted Cranberry red with white racing stripes from the factory assembly line but there are some out there. I say white stripes on Bolero Red looks good.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Year One has color photos in their catalog of stripes of the 67-70 chevelles. 67 is a bolero red with white stripes.

Rick

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rick,

That's where I got the idea. I just dropped off the car today. I'll wait and see what the new paint looks like before I add stripes.

Btw, I got the tour of the "back building" this am when I dropped her off. MINGYA!

I knew Rick ( Fineline Collision , S. Wales, NY )had a 69 but I was taken aback at what I saw. 69SS396 375 HP numbers match, red on red. Georgeous. Next to it 68RS/SS 396 Camaro, air, deluxe interior, vinyl top, red on black. Mint. 67 drag Vette. 60 something Cameo, 69 Nova SS396/375. All original numbers matching cars.

And nevermind about the Shelby GT500 427 and the 56 T bird. Customers cars.

For a few minutes in was in a gearheads heaven!!!

If only my lowly 67SS396 looks anywhere as good as his cars when he's done. Then I'll be livin' in resto-head heaven!
Actually, I hope it'll be good enough to make one of the Team Chevelle cars of the month next year. And that there is some stiff competition. ( Oh, and run a 7.50 in the 1/8th.)

Thnx again for all the advice.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 11-19-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
GENE,
my red 67 has the white stripes down the side(remember thoses pics I sent ya)but not over the wheelwells.my opinion,white looks best on a hard top(red)while black looks best on red car with black top.I would go with the stripes,because a 67ss without, seems to be missing something.67RAT member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Rat! Man, where you been? I know that's the second place I saw those stripes. Would it be too much to ask to send me another pic. Your car is an inspiration. And I;m gonna need one before I finish paying Rick off!
USe my AOL [email protected], I;d really appreciate it. Just one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.