Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finished the dash housing. I painted the black part around the instruments first, then the rest of the dash in dark saddle. This was originaly a Monte dash, so I stripped the woodgrain off the insert and painted it dull black. Now I'm wondering if it would be best to leave it as is or go ahead and paint the silver around the edges of the instrument cutouts. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them loaded in the hard drive. I want to know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Randy,

Personally I think the silver would be a nice finish. Years ago I purchased a Silver Paint Pen. It's like a felt tip marker except it has silver paint in it. I'm not sure where I got it. Maybe an art supply store? Or an automotive paint supply?

I used it for the silver on the steering wheel. Same basic idea.

------------------
FastSS396Man
Brian

Fastss396, Fastss396,Fastss396,
Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can find silver paint pens at a hobby shop or sometimes even Walmart/Target - Testors makes them, they'll be in the plastic-model-kit section.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by derekf:
You can find silver paint pens at a hobby shop or sometimes even Walmart/Target - Testors makes them, they'll be in the plastic-model-kit section.

Hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the assist Derek, it's all comming back to me now that I'm drinking coffee instead of RollingRock... I believe I did purchase that paint pen at a hobby shop for model cars. It's a few years old and still works good.

------------------
FastSS396Man
Brian

Fastss396, Fastss396,Fastss396,
Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466

·
Registered
825 Posts
WOW now thats an idea I hadn't thought of. I am also in the middle of restoring the dash for my 72 Chevelle SS 454 (clone project). I have cleaned it and sprayed it black and it looks good. So then I started taping off to shoot the rims around the gauges and I have 4 hours of masking in it and still more to go. I guess I am a little anal about the job being done but I do want it to look good.
I may just have to cheat and go pick up a silver pen.

I have a question how well does the paint stick and how long has it, does it last?

Thanks

Deon

[This message has been edited by 72SS454Chevelle (edited 05-19-2002).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just bought a paint pen at Hobby Lobby in the model car section. Testors 2546. Works great on the lettering. have to have a steady hand.

------------------
1969 El Camino SS 396

A dream coming true
She says it's a nightmare

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Randy,
Befor I replaced the dash strip on my 66 SS, I redid the out line with the 2546 Testors paint pen, It's not chrome, but it looked real nice. the paint pen did a very good job.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an idea on what to do. I'll post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
ehjorten,yep they sure were.I think its called vacuum metalizing.

There have been mixed comments on those paint pens.

If you just paint it and you like it,thats fine.But once you compare a properly restored metalized dash you'll throw that pen away for good.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah...I did some touch-up on my current bezel with a silver paint pen, but it doesn't look that good. Eventually I plan on replacing the dash bezel all together or having mine redone.

-Erik

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Mosier:
Here's an afternoon's worth of work. That's a black painted Monte insert laying on the face of the instrument panel.

WOW! That looks GREAT! I am about to start a similar dash project and was worried about how the monte dash would look. Looks GREAT!

Nice job!

Rob
70 El Camino - Sweep to gauges in the works!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure if my dash is differet but on my 71SS just the top edges of the instrument circles are silver, the rest of it is black.

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts