Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
volt change from normal 13.7 all the time to a change of running at 14.5 to 15. Its a bb with orginal 3 wire alt only 3 months old. I have changed voltage reg and no change. All wireing appears normal and no loose wires? Ideals very much wanted and will be checked. Every thing runs fine and no other indicators as to why. ????????

[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Recently had same question. I was told that 14.5 was normal voltage for the car and that there is nothing to worry about. My car is curently running at 15.5 and that was after changing both regulator and alternator.
It has been about 6 months and its still running fine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are you going off the volt gauge in the car or actually checking it with a hand held volt meter at the alternator? Maybe the gauge went bad?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I have been told the same thing thats normal. But not always true if you pump 15.5 direct with no place for it to go but the battery you will cook the bat. Also the gauge checks as accurate. But I am looking for the why as this system has never done this with at least 3 alternators. Than wham maybe the alt. just started putting out more or ??? I am going to put back the none chrome stocker and see what it does as it was fine when I changed it out for the dress version. Thanks for the reply and I will test it again to make sure. What the heck got nothing else but life to bug me

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't run with 15.5V because it will significantly shorten the life of the battery.

The base of the regulator maybe isn't grounded correctly. Or it's a bad regulator. Also check that battery voltage is at terminal 3 on the thing by measuring between terminal 3 and the horn relay for 0V.

It shouldn't be the alternator because the regulator measures the alternator output and adjusts it to suit. If the alternator wasn't working then the regulator either wouldn't engage and leave the light on or the thing just wouldn't produce the correct voltage. You never know though.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts