Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I have a dangling connector in my dash of my '71 Sprint. It has the guage dash (tach, speedo, clock), with A/C. I have a heater harness with two connections up behind the glove box that are clear, but there is a third coming right in the middle (behind the controls) that looks like it belongs somewhere above and to the right of the accelerator pedal, but there's no place I see to plug it in! My assembly manual shows the two at the glove box, and on a separate page the third (maybe) but it just says "To heater resistor" with no indication of where that might be.

Now, I should also say this harness looks homemade, in that it appears to be wound with regular electrical tape. Anyone with a '71 with A/C know where this goes? A picture would be most helpful!

advTHANKSance

Cecil...

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
I'm not much help, but what it's worth, if the vehicle has FACTORY A/C, the heater resistor is mounted UNDER the hood in the evaporator box, while a factory NON-A/C vehicle has the heater resistor inside the passenger compartment in the vent distibution box (the big duct box under the dash).

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I could probably give an answer but do not understand the question. Are you trying to find out where some wires go? Does your A/C and heater work? what Jon

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon (and anyone else), no, it doesn't. Considering there's no compressor under the hood, that's not a surprise.

Let me explain. The car came originally with a 350 V8. Sometime during its life, that engine was swapped out and a 396/402 was put in its place. The knuckleheads that did the job ripped out the A/C compressor (I guess getting the right brackets would be too much trouble), hung the alternator on just the top bracket, cut the water temp, oil pressure and tach wires (I don't understand the tach issue at all; that one goes to the same place on either engine!).

What I have is a minor mess to clean up. I'm just working through the wiring. I've fixed the dash up (my gas guage works!), and this dangling connector is just one more thing I need to work fix.

advTHANKSance

Cecil...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
There is a possibility that the connector you found doesn't go anywhere. The harness may have built as a non-air harness and the air conditioning wires were added to it. As Coppertop said the heater resistor is in a different place on an A/C car.
Check the colors on the connector and the shape of the connector. Same shape connector as the heater resistor? What colors are on it? Maybe if you add a little more information, jonh has an answer.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Cecil,

In 1971 (and 1971 only) Chevrolet installed to relays on top of the glovebox. These were called anti-dieseling relays. One was a timing relay and the other was just a simple switch reley. They operated when you turned your ingnition switch off. They turned your A/C compressor on for 5 seconds when you turned you engine off, to keep your motor from dieseling. So there should be two wiring harness with plugs going to the top of you glove box. I guess it was some type of emissions control, it was not installed on the 72 models.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Cecil

I don’t have experience with Sprints. I can tell you how it is with Chevelle\ElCamino. There were many different dash wiring harnesses depending the options installed on the car i.e. A\C, console, automatic trans. I have not taken the time to determine how many different harnesses were used. When the optional gauge dash was installed there was only one harness used. It would accommodate any option configuration. As a result some of the wiring will not be used. On an A\C car the under dash blower speed resistors are not used, as the speed resisters are part of the A\C harness\equipment. The connector near the steering column is likely for the console lighting The factory harnesses were bound with a non-adhesive backed black vinyl tape.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
The main A/C control unit has three separate electrical plugs going to it. To the left of that there is the turn signal flasher connector and a little further left is the stop light switch connector. Also in that same location is the lighting connector for the console. Do all your electrical accessories work. Have fun Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
To IMa 71nut (and anyone else)...The two switches you are referring two are Anti-dieseling and a blocker switch. The A-D switch does exactly what you say.. The Blocker switch keeps the fan motor in the A/C box from coming on.

Cecil, if you can give us the colors of the wires, or what color of wires the are connected to at the wire harness, maybe I can help.

A full set of factory manuals helps, but sometimes they just get you to ask more questions.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not under the dash at the moment, but when I get back there I'll see if some of the previous entries clear up my troubles. If not, I'll be back!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Cecil:
There were also two orange wires that hooked up to a switch at the top of the gas pedal.
I think it was a transmission kickdown switch. I saw this on a 71 chevelle 454. Jon
It was 100% original.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings all!

I've been back under the dash, after playing outside (under the hood) for a while. The two dangling connectors are both referenced in my assembly manual (boy, buying just the wiring diagrams was a waste of $$$). On page 329, I have the connector to the device labeled "HEATER RESISTOR" with the correct colored wires (Y, LBL, OR), and the connector to the device labeled "HEATER CONN" with wires (BRN, Y, LBL, OR, OR), both with nowhere to go (that I can see). I suspect that these are not needed, since the A/C harness (page 483) has a resistor and thermal switch under the hood, along with the blocking relay and anti-dieseling relay (both spelled "REPLAY" in the manual).

For now, I'm going to stick with this story. I still have enough wiring troubles to keep me busy. My newest one just started. If I lean on the dash (I have the pad off the top) I hear what sounds like a relay or something clicking under the hood. I may have made the first step in finding my dead short in the heater blower controls...

Thanks all!

Cecil...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts