Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have gotten a lot of crap from my friends about my '71 not being a real ss (maybe just jealous because at 19 they don't have one!). I put an ss hood, trim, dash (monte), sport mirror, and am currently putting buckets/console/steering column in. I am not trying to put it off as one (I openly admit it is a malibu), I just prefer the looks of an SS. I like to work on my car (adding stuff is more work
)and I don't think it will ever be "finished". When I check the old car price guide, the difference for malibu and SS are only a few hundred dollars. If I could have found an SS at the time I would have tried to get it. So what do you guys think about cloning??? Hopefully this topic hasn't been to overplayed?
Thanks
Steve
'71 Malibu

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's your car, to hell with them. I never judge a car by it's badges. For your year all SS really did was give it some buckets and gauges. Sure you could get motor upgrades but you could get a SS with a 307 too.... SS is really just the race image of Chevrolet and if you want your car to represent that than more power to you!

------------------
'70 Malibu
4.030''x3.480'' L-31
Muncie M20 (in conversion)
'62 Vette Posi 3.70 rear (in conversion)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I plan on making my wagon an SS. If I sell it I will tell the owner Fake as a CZ.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Dear Steve: This topic has been dealt with extensively on this site as you guessed. However, don't let that bother you...everybody has to get on "board" at their own point. The main objection to clones has always been passing them as the real thing, particularly if selling. It seems that you have that covered. There are lots of great '71's out there for ideas and comparisons. Many of us "older guys" (we were there the first time it went round ) find it gratifying to know that younger guys like the same kinds of cars and enjoy the hobby. Hopefully, you will find mainly encouragement. You started in the right place. R. B.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Steve, you can check out my 70 Malibu in my signature. As clean as it is now, it will become an SS clone. Thought about not doing it, but all the SS badging is more appealing to me. I still get honks and waves for a bone stock original 307 Malibu. I want the HP of a 454 and the "hey look at this race car that will flat out move at my command". If I ever do sell it it will be sold as a Malibu and only be sold if I'm in the position to buy a #s matching 70 SS. Its your car do what makes you happy.

------------------
70 Malibu 307 http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/17again.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Car clones are like beautiful women with breast implants ... Yeah, they look good, and we may know that they are "fake", but given the opportunity to put our hands on them ... we stop critcizing and fault finding ... ( Lady members, pls don't throw stones at me ... I adore and respect all of you ) ... The point is, if clones weren't cool, there wouldn't be any Elvis impersonators ... Hey, Wait a minute, what were we talking about ? Oh yeah, Heavy, ... you earned the money, spend it as you would like and enjoy the ride ... For guys who have integrity, this should not be an issue or concern. For anyone else, one lesson from this site should be research before you buy ... I am sure that everyone who has bought a car can think of some question or concern they would have raised if they could go back and do it again ... It is not a perfect world ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Besides, I've wiped the street clean of some "Super Sports" before with my little old subtle "Malibu". In this day in age if you judge a cars abilities by what it says on the fender you'll most likely be reading his licence plate frame real quick...
The car will still be a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle no matter what the fender badge says. So if someone trys to give you crap just mention it's been a little tweaked..... You know, like 90% of every other muscle car in the world. Happy Motoring!

------------------
'70 Malibu
4.030''x3.480'' L-31
Muncie M20 (in conversion)
'62 Vette Posi 3.70 rear (in conversion)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
The best advice all these guys are giving you is to please yourself. After the jerks that critize walk away its still you washing, maitaining, and writing the checks for your car, and if your not happy with it, why the heck did you get involved. I cloned my first car and I used to hate when guys would say, "that's not a real SS". Well no crap Buford, I know that. But, my Elky I took off all the emblems and the 67 I'm building now, I have SS trim on it but left the Malibu emblems on it, just so I didn't have to hear about. Maybe a cop out, but I just got tired of hearing about it.

www.Jeffry72.50megs.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by HeavyChevy1971:
Hey,
I have gotten a lot of crap from my friends about my '71 not being a real ss

I think that happens when one appears to be presented as one. I have seen plenty Malibu’s that look better than SS’s
One such Malibu had the cowl induction hood, engine size painted on where the cowl induction letters go, a single wide stripe that matched the width of the hood bulge flanked by pin stripes, no SS emblems to be found but on the fenders it had a custom made emblem that said Malibu 427.
That car was getting a lot of attention & questions for sure! And nobody was crying clone.

So what do you guys think about cloning???

A clone to me means exact everything and there are plenty out there that are even better than the originals but in this configuration you will always get those questions…is it real?
Personally I couldn’t deal with answering “no” along with all the flack. I like clones but I like the previous mentioned Malibu even better.
Good luck with your Chevelle, sounds like a great car!

------------------
Musclebuff
Fan of all Muscle Cars
but my 70 SS I like best!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I own a 72' chevelle SS clone and it gets allot of attention on the street and at car shows. Nothing wrong with a clone so long as you tell people that is what it is,,,most people could not tell a clone from a true SS if none properly. It's your car and you make it what makes you happy. And for all the AS# HO#ES that critisis your car next time ask them to show you their classic car---they will shut right up.

------------------
ACES #3355
ChevyTalk Silver Member
Metroplex Muscle Car Club

1972 Chevelle SS (clone),black/black
350ci
HEI, Holley elec. fuel pump
Edelbrock carb. and intake
Cowl Induction
TB350 w/shift kit
10 bolt BOP 3.42 Posi
Eagle headers w/glasspacks
Boxed control arms,KYB shocks,front/rear sway bars
Prime 5 spoke alloy wheels w/ BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Heavy,
I have no problem with it, look at my sig. It's your car so do with it what you want but don't sell it as a true SS.
I built mine because I wanted a SS and could not afford one at the time I was looking, so I did the next best thing which was making one. I don't really have to worry when driving it because if someone totals it I can build another without losing as much as I would on a SS.
I built it for me and no one else, I don't plan on selling it but if I did I would sell for what it is a 71 SS 454 CLONE.

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your car,make it what you want. Mine went from bench seat,coumn shift,drum brakes,10 bolt rear,sweep dash to: Buckets ,console,ss dash (with LS6 gauges),12 bolt 3:08 rear. Want pics ?I'll send all you want.

I know where I can get a SS dash ,and a "light "cluster . Gimme a holler.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've owned a true '68 SS396 4-speed. I loved it and wouldn't have chopped it up because it was what it was.

I now own a '68 El Camino that I've "chopped up" a bit. It's not an SS, nor will it be, but that's my personal preference. For some reason I wouldn't have modified an SS like I have this car. I don't know why.

I say go for it. As mentioned earlier, most people don't know the difference anyway. Isn't it true that there are more '70 SS454's today than were built by GM?

As long as you're enjoying it, don't worry about what "they" say. Tell 'em to get their own all original SS and then they can have the privilege of giving you a hard time if they like.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 1-9-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Here's the real point, So you're 19 and mostly broke. Come on, every 19 year old is broke. You can't afford a real SS but the look of black stripes on your ride with the "SS" emblem adorning those round tail lights makes your heart go "pitter pat". That's what it's all about! Have a good time and enjoy your dream.

No one can deny that there is a market for nice clones. PLEASE sell it as a clone when you are ready to sell.

------------------
Chuck Bonasera
Nor-Cal ChevelleCaminos
[email protected]
http://nor-cal.chevelles.net/chuck.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,
Thanks everyone for posting. I have posted here before (around 2 years ago) and have gotten good responses to my questions. I checked out all of you webpages (if you had them)and I decided to whip up one of my own. It only has a few pics, I will update it later on. Check it out.
Steve
'71 Malibu http://hometown.aol.com/heavychevy1971/myhomepage/auto.html

[This message has been edited by HeavyChevy1971 (edited 01-20-2002).]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Heavy,

Like every here has stated, do it your way. Like I say about my car. It's a all non-original factory car...lol.
I've never had anybody say anthing negative about it. At least not to my face
And most people that say crap, drive to the shows in a POS 4cyl beater

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
www.geocities.com/chevnt1_chevelle/

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
as an owner of a TRUE SS i have to say that they don't bother me a bit, cost just as much to restore, just as much labor goes into them, and they look just as nice, personaly,i wanted a true SS car after cloning 1 just for resale value, i knew i'd dump ton's of $$ into what ever i got and decided at least a true SS car would bring more resale and be ezier to sell.....
Now what i don't like is the idiot at the car show with no build sheet (70 models) and factory a/c saying it's a true LS6 car and it's also got no boxed control arms, etc. etc. you get the picture, very nice but i covered with BS

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most chevelle SS cars you see at cruises are in fact clones. The reason it's easy to tell is because they usually do an incomplete job adding the SS goodies. From my point of view, if your going to clone, make it a good clone.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
TC Member #918
ACES member
Metroplex Muscle
My Cars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.