Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres my dilemma. Im 6' 4" but my wife is 5' 3". Our 69 is currently at the fab shop getting the floor boards modded for the T-56 Magnum LSA swap. I actually like bench seats, but I cant fit in the car when my wife drives it. My head literally touches the headliner/sun visor. The obvious fix is to lose the bench for buckets, but that requires further welding for the seat brackets AND im having a hell of a time finding original seats for a reasonable price. The PUI repros seem to have good reviews but are waaayyyy back logged due to being shut down for a bit from the virus. The car isnt original anyways much less the floor board mods, but I hear that Legendary is the better way to go for quality, but they only make covers. The interior is metallic blue which we both like, but my chances of finding good, usable, originals, in the correct color, is next to zero. I'd love to find a nice set, "mechanically sound" and just have them re-foamed and covered, buuutttt...

Im also no interior guy so I would leave rebuilding originals to a professional. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Have you expanded your search to other A-body’s?

You may want to add your general location to your profile. I’d bet many members have friends with a stash of parts they could point you towards.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
You can easily make a simple bracket to move the seat more rearward. As the seat goes backward it also goes lower. You could additionally raise the front of the seat track to lift the front of the seat which will tip the back rearward. That may be a better solution for your wife. You can just block the seat back from going all the way back when she’s driving.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I am 6'3" but have a convertible so my head clears with the top down:laugh: Seriously I have seen many post where people complain their head hits with most new foam and ACI helps lot per them. I have no problem with the top up but that is apples to oranges comparison to a coupe. I did the switch over from bench to buckets using ACI foam and Legendary covers. If you call them they will send out a piece of vinyl so you can compare the color and pattern match. I am very happy with the finished product. Here is a couple pics and after sitting the sun they look better now then when the shot were taken. The steering wheel is a 15 inch and not the stock 16 inch for reference. Car is a 68.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
You also have the option of finding a 60/40 bench seat That would solve your problem and you can keep a bench.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Justin,
What do you consider a reasonable price and what are you willing to put into them for restoration? Two things to consider. You can make any 69-72 A body seat into 69 Chevelle seats and that list includes Monte Carlio, Cutlass, 442, Lemans, GTO, Skylark. Also bucket seats are cost prohibitive to ship so dealing local to you is almost mandatory.
Also there can be a huge difference in condition of cores. Spring and frame rust is the main thing. The less the better. Cover condition and cushion condition dont mean a thing as they will be replaced. Some surface rust is to be expected but cores that sat in cars that were stored outdoors will have rust issues.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You also have the option of finding a 60/40 bench seat That would solve your problem and you can keep a bench.
This would be my suggestion, go with the buckets. Rather then the farm truck bench.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
This would be my suggestion, go with the buckets. Rather then the farm truck bench.
They were available in other cars as well but in any case if you look at my previous post you will see I went buckets so no argument there. However I am not a big fan of buckets without a console and his tranny swap may not allow a stock console, maybe..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually thought about the 60/40 option but couldnt find any info on when, if ever, they were offered in 60's A-bodies?

Also, I think I confused a few people, to clarify, I fit fine in the car, when its ME driving (bench all the way back). But my wife has to slide the bench completely forward just to reach the pedals, and that was with the 700R4. Im not sure if you can do that with a T-56 Magnum? Anyone here running a modern 6 speed (Holley 1.25" forward motor and trans mounts) with a bench? Even with one of those Z-bend shifters, can you slide a bench all the way forward and still be able to shift?

Im located in Las Vegas, ive had ZERO luck finding parts locally.

Just received an Ausley's (never heard of them before, until I stumbled on them last week). They do show a, "seat frame assembly" for $389.95/ea. I suppose I could purchase those and ship them to Legendary to complete. I was quoted $400 for labor to install their covers and foam. Id need to check with Ausleys to be sure they would allow separate ship to/bill to.

If I do find a rebuildable set, is there any reason no to have the whole assembly powder coated when restoring? Seems that would give the best long term anti-rust durability? (not that thats a yuge deal in my local).

I actually DO NOT prefer center consoles, I like the clean look of an accordion boot to the floor, not sure why. lol I DO like arm rests however, but that was not an option for these cars that I have seen. I HATE the look of modern seats in a classic, believe it or not. Yeah this car has an LSA/T-56 Magnum but thats well hidden. =)

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
254 Posts
I’m partial to the bench seat look with a t-handle Hurst shifter on the floor, but in your situation bucket seats would be more suitable imo. I agree with one other post about the console though.....I don’t care for the console... just the 4-speed with boot on the floor looks great!

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
I actually DO NOT prefer center consoles, I like the clean look of an accordion boot to the floor,
Everybody, everybody, everybody has a console in their car - even todays cars and trucks all have consoles. I too prefer the ol' school accordion boot and chrome shifter coming out of the carpeted floor. :thumbsup:

Your problem isn't in need of an immediate solution, so take some time to research finding bucket seats as they are THE best solution to your issue. Legendary is your best choice for color match. Yes, finding buckets and restoring with Legendary will be expensive, but it will be the exact solution you need!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I also have a '69 and had Procar Elite seats installed about 15 years ago. The brackets have three slots set vertically to adjust overall height or to tilt the frame back slightly. They also recline and have good front to back adjustment. Very comfortable. The build quality is excellent and they've been durable.

Here is a thread where the seats in my car are pictured in post #9:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-interiors/1087456-opinion-upgrading-interior.html

Summitracing still carries them:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/scat-procar-elite-series-1100-seats/part-type/bucket-and-bench-seats?fr=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Here are the brackets:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/procar/part-type/seat-brackets

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
GM G body used the 60/40 and I suspect with some bracket mods would fit in. 81-87 Elco used them.
Actually I found a set in the 1960 Corvair so these are certainly around and 77 Cutlass used them. Buick did as well. Buckets without a console just looks incomplete plus you lose the storage that they provide. My mother in law had a 70 Chevelle with buckets and column shift that was just out of place. Later when it became ours a console went in. However I wish the 68-72 consoles had a useful arm rest. My car handles better then my azz can stay put and a armrest would not just be comfortable it would help keep it planted....

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Justin,
Following is my best advice to you. If your 69 fol!ows a more restomod look then Investigate seats from TMI and Procar. There may be others. That would be the quickest, most easy and probably cheapest route.
However if your car has a more original or stock look then those seats would look out of place and a set of Strato buckets would be the way to go. I cant imagine that the aftermarket spring assemblies are close to the originals. I recall reports of them being overly stiff. If you are going to go that route I would suggest an original Strato set all the way.
Have them stripped down all the way, then derusted, them springs repaired, then springs and frames painted, then new Legendary covers with ACI buns. There are good restoration threads in the stickies here. It would be in your interest to study them even if you dont planon doing the work yourself. At least you will know what is needed and the correct way it needs to be done.

Reactions: RAIDER SS

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Just received an Ausley's (never heard of them before, until I stumbled on them last week). They do show a, "seat frame assembly" for $389.95/ea. I suppose I could purchase those and ship them to Legendary to complete. I was quoted $400 for labor to install their covers and foam. Id need to check with Ausleys to be sure they would allow separate ship to/bill to.
This is just a frame and spring. In addition to that you will need tracks, plastic bottoms and backs, realease mechanism, headrest and all associated hardware plus trim pieces. That will add up quickley.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im in worse trouble than I thought. I sat in a 69 Judge with OEM style re-upholstered bucket seats and my head is crammed into the roof. He also has the rearward relocation brackets for tall guys! My wife was still able to slide up enough to shift it just fine however.

I sat in a 68 GTO, same set of buckets, no relocation brackets, with worn out foam and I had about 3" head room.

Seems like buckets with relocation and a custom seat foam set is the best solution at this point; due to the fact that custom notching the bench to clear the shifter is likely almost as difficult/costly, as adding the bucket rail brackets to the floor at this point...

FML

1 - 20 of 43 Posts