Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 283 recently, and I was wondering if it was worth rebuilding, as a performance motor. I know cubes are king, but I just wanted to ask. If not, may just trade it off for a Holley Blue and a line lock kit. I think it actually came out of a chevelle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have heard of some 283's being real good street cars. If you post the numbers we can tell you what year it is and what it came in. The number stamped on the front pad and the casting number, which is stamped behind the drivers side valve cover, down by where the bellhousing bolts up. I think trips would be neat. You could go the retro early 60's speed look.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd have to agree with El Camino72; find out this motors heritage 1st. It might have resto value? As for building a performance motor...why not? 283's ruled the street in their day, you should be able to get an easy 300 horses out of it with today's technology. I can think of 2 bonuses for building it; you'll get better mileage from it (along with performance), and what a joy to blow off some big mouth BB F**d guy with a little ol' 283!!

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hell yes, go with the 283. (what else would you expect me to say?)
There are several cars at the local strip running 283s that pull the wheels and put on a real show. If you are not drag racing for money, you will have just as much fun with a 283 - and - you can hardly break it.
PS; I often have fun letting people guess what engine I have by listening to it. From the sound with headers, they are usually wrong and guess from a 350 to a big block.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
948 Posts
283? Sure! I have a built 283 in my 67. After the headers & HEI I'll be at 300hp or just short of it. You can't match the mileage factor. They are great sleeper motors & can be built for a wad o' lower torque. I'd recommend the Comp Cams Extreme Energy 268 for it. I'm running a EE250, wish I would have gone higher, but the 250 is perfect for everyday driving. Next thing is a new trans. Powerglide is killing me.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
283's are a great engine I had one in my 65 Malibu 3spd on the column and 3.36 rear. I would routinely mash the gas to the floor rev it till it stopped and dump the clutch what a fun car, and nothing like banging gears with a 3 on the tree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.