Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm the guy who started posting last December with questions like: "Is it really worth it to go from a TH400 to a TKO?" Questions progressed to "how do I remove the TH400?" and on to "how much flywheel runout is acceptable?", and finally, "are muscle cars with manuals pretty rambunctuous?". Well, it's all done and buttoned up now. It was an entertaining journey, an hour here, and hour there.

If you are pondering a TKO set up, wondering how it all fits and goes together, click and then maximize the thumbnail below. IMHO, it comes out pretty clean looking.

Feel free to ask any questions about what you see. I am not an expert, but I do have opinions now from my rookie experience point of view. And if you haven't done something like this, may I suggest a kit from an acknowledged good vendor like ClassicChevy5Speed. Those guys were incredible to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
who lives close enough to gibbons to sneak over & smear some grease or something on that too clean underside??........:D

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't need any help with getting the underside dirty. I thought I had an oil pan gasket leak, so while I had my motor out and upside down, I replaced the gasket. Turns out it's the rear main. DOH! :clonk: Man, it was right there for the fixing and I didn't do it! I have about 10 paper towels rolled into a burrito and stuffed between the oil pan and block plate to soak up drips. It better not get on my clutch or I will have blood shooting out of my eyes.

By the way, that's how the QuickTime scattershield fits. That is a nice unit! CC5S turned me on to it.

See the brake cables? This was a TH400 car, so the intermediate cable was about over the front Ujoint. I got a longer TH350/4S cable, and it was the perfect length to loop around the front right through one of the unused mounting holes on the transmission(!). I put some poly tube through the hole to reduce wear, and works great. I did shorten the TH400 S-hook 3/4" to get the proportions, but I think it turned out very functional. No binding, no scraping.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I won't need any help with getting the underside dirty. I thought I had an oil pan gasket leak, so while I had my motor out and upside down, I replaced the gasket. Turns out it's the rear main. DOH! :clonk: Man, it was right there for the fixing and I didn't do it! I have about 10 paper towels rolled into a burrito and stuffed between the oil pan and block plate to soak up drips. It better not get on my clutch or I will have blood shooting out of my eyes.

By the way, that's how the QuickTime scattershield fits. That is a nice unit! CC5S turned me on to it.

See the brake cables? This was a TH400 car, so the intermediate cable was about over the front Ujoint. I got a longer TH350/4S cable, and it was the perfect length to loop around the front right through one of the unused mounting holes on the transmission(!). I put some poly tube through the hole to reduce wear, and works great. I did shorten the TH400 S-hook 3/4" to get the proportions, but I think it turned out very functional. No binding, no scraping.
i was just going to ask you what you did about your e-brake cable. mine is going right across the driveshaft ad i would like to change it to yours. I'm going to order the 4spd e-brake cable and maybe if you could take more pictures of what you did so i can route mine the same way. Looks clean!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, I got the cable from the Muscle Factory. I am guessing different vendors are making these, theirs fit perfectly and they had the best deal. While I was at it, I did the front cable too as mine was nasty looking and had a couple of frayed elements. The front takes a little time, as you have to loosen up the inner fender, but it was worth it.

I will be able to post some more pics on Saturday, including what to do with the S-hook. Once shortened, it goes back in the original cross member hole. Got a welder around?

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
It looks great very nice car also, now you can call DMH performance and get thier electric cut outs. Mine work very well just over $300.00 when they are in the budget. Good job!!!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks great very nice car also, now you can call DMH performance and get thier electric cut outs. Mine work very well just over $300.00 when they are in the budget. Good job!!!
I used to think about doing that. When I had Flowmaster Series 40's, I used to put spacer washers under the cut-out caps to let a little love out in front of the muffler. As part of the "TKO conversion", I installed 2.5" Pypes Violators. They are loud! :thumbsup:

The way mine lined up with the crossmember and such, I don't think I could fit anything anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Brian, I got the cable from the Muscle Factory. I am guessing different vendors are making these, theirs fit perfectly and they had the best deal. While I was at it, I did the front cable too as mine was nasty looking and had a couple of frayed elements. The front takes a little time, as you have to loosen up the inner fender, but it was worth it.

I will be able to post some more pics on Saturday, including what to do with the S-hook. Once shortened, it goes back in the original cross member hole. Got a welder around?
my front section of cable is fine, it's the intermediate section of mine that is frayed. Yes i do have a welder available but no lift :(

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Wow! That's a clean car. I bet that during the swap, you got dirtier from the floor than the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.