Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about buying a viehicle that does not have a title. Is it possible to get a replacement title if a former owner lost it years ago? Should good cars without titles be considered off limits?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
No, I deal with this all the time, just get the VIN # and have your local DMV run it for u , normally there isnt a charge for that, just tell em that u are thinking about buying the car but the current owner has no title and they will take it from there, also if u look in Hemmeings motor news there are a few companys(for a fee) will do the same thing for u and do all the leg work, but try your local DMV first, lemme know how u make out and if u have any more questions, I have made a few REAL GOOD buys because people have no titles and dont have a clue how to get one, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Demorco
I am in the same boat.I got a 66 chevelle with no title.I will go to the DMV to get my vin # to see what I find out.The only problem I have is that this car was registered in Mexico about 10 years ago.The car has been parked since.Don't know if it was ever registered in TX (that where I am at).But it won't hurt to try.I need to get a title before I spend lots of money on this car.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 67 camaro that I purchased without a title,a problem with seller not being able to find it over time.In NY, If you send a regestered letter to the last known owner and it is returned to you, you can then take that unopened letter to DMV,and after a short waiting period, they will issue a registration/title.You will also have to get the car weighed and provide a weight slip.This can be done at a salvage yard ect...The whole process takes a long time,but if the car is right, it's worth it.It helps if the seller has at least some history on the car.Good luck...

[This message has been edited by steves (edited 01-27-99).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Titles, I was given a 56 Chev. It had out of state plates on it. I couldn't get title from that state because their was a lean holder on the car. I took the plates off the car, went to DMV they ran the Vin, there were no records, I had to have a police officer come to my house to check the Vin for DMV, I took the papers back to DMV and they gave me a title. I was told how to do this by a x-DMV employee. If you can't get in the front door use the back door, or backwards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in tx and a friend of mine buys about 20 F**D trucks every year and many do not have titles.That sounds like alot but he pays around $50 a truck. The process he goes through is the same as what steves did except for weighing the car.

[This message has been edited by robert (edited 01-28-99).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Robert,
Can you tell me a little more about getting a title.I just got back from my DMV (Arlinton,TX) and a lady ran the VIN# I gave here but she could not come up with anything.I told her the car had plates from Mexico and she said I should try to contact someone in mexico (DMV) to see if they could find a name.I need to talk to the guy I got the car from to see what history he know about this car.The lady at the DMV gave me a form for Certificate of Title Bond.She said I had to go through the highway depart.To get a title.Any help is welcome.

George

------------------

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
George, I e-mailed you before I read your second post. The bonded title procedure is what I'm having to do. It's a bureaucratic mess but you have no choice. See if you can do a title search through one of the companies that research used car histories and find the last state the car was registered in before it went to Mexico. You will need a letter from that state's tax commission stating that there are no liens against the vehicle. Don't even tell them the car was in Mexico, just tell them it was in storage. Better yet, E-mail me, I have a list from the tax office which states the procedure and everything you will need. I can also reccommend the people who do the appraisals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Patrick,
I don't think it made a difference that I told the lady @ the DMV about the car being from Mexico.There are not plates on the car.In Mexico they give you plates and then every year you get a sticker for each year.That is the only way I found out that the car was from Mexico.I called the guy that I got the car from and he did not have any history about the car.He told me that he had bought it from a muffler shop in Mexico about two years ago and the guy did not have a title for that car.So as far as I know the car has no signs of being from Mexico.The TX DMV ran the VIN# and had no records of that car ever been registered in TX.Don't know of any other state around TX.Can you give me more details on getting in the back door of the DMV.

Randy,
I tried going through Carfax but they only run Vin# from 1980 and newer so that did not help.Any other company that does that for old cars that is on the Web.Randy let me know when you send that fax for me 817-640-0556 about Tax office and car appraisals.

Thanks for everyone help!!
George

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.