Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm new to the site, wondering if some of you experts could give me some advice.

Last summer, i went to the track with my old setup. A 355 connected to a th350 with 3:73 gears, stock converter, stock holley quadrajet, and stock rear suspension. I was running consistent 2.25 60' times. My e.t. was a consistent 14.2 and trapping 98mph, all this was very consistent (all on a 75 degree night) very good bracket racing set up. This was all on old hard tires, i was very surprised they hooked. I won many trophies with this setup, but i wanted 13s so i made some tweaks.

Over the winter i changed my carb to a holley 670, installed a TCI 2000-2200 stall converter, and changed the suspension setup to KYB gr2 shocks front and rear, and an eibach spring kit. new headers, but that couldnt have changed much, mainly to make it look better, my old hooker headers were getting rusty. So i went to the track and the car was launching great, i was getting 2.10 60' times (it felt like it was launching way harder) This was also on the old hard tires. But my top end was dying and busting up at high rpms, my trap speeds dropped to 95mph, and i was running 14.3-14.4

I was highly dissapointed, and was worried about my top end power. Turns out my car was running way too lean, so i changed to a holley 750, i also changed to some new, radials, just plain bfg street radials (not drag radials, but they are way softer then my old tires) this remedied my top end problem, and more

So i went to the track another time, with high hopes, however there was a 35mph head wind that day. I got to the line, ready to feel the car pull harder, green light flashed and my tires went up in a plume of smoke. My 60' was a best of 2.34 while spinning, and a best of 14.3 @96 in a 35mph headwind. Needless to say i was happy and dissapointed at the same time.

So now I know my car has top end, but i am overpowering my tires and spinning alot now. My question to you guys is will the mickey thompson e.t. street tires help me out? im thinking about getting these tire, i have heard alot of good about them, what do you think they could do for my 60' and e.t. on a day with no head wind? Any rear suspension suggestions?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The first 60' is the most important thing here. Even new reproduction of original tires are made of lots softer rubber than originals were. Lots of "pure stock" racers are getting 1.80-1.90-2.00 60' times on 6 inch wide polyglas or wide oval type tires. As far as rear suspensions suggestions, stay away from anything that will raise the rear of the car, meaning no air shocks and no heavy duty rear springs. Chevelles like to set low in the rear to keep the 4 link arms where they belong. Breaking up on the top end usually means that fuel pump pressure is low and there is not enough fuel delivery. You might find a little more top end with something as simple as a new stock pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the car is sitting lower in the back, the eibach pro kit dropped it about an inch and a half. I think the converter is giving the tires all the power at once and its spinning them now, so im just gonna buy the m/t et streets and see how they do

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
hello,its a battle to get the combo to work,any little change to it throws in another part of the puzzle.like said before get the rear down level if you can,make sure rear a arm bushings are in good shape,make sure pinion angle correct,2 to 3 degrees. if your still blowing tires off put a air bag in the right rear coil spring to pre load suspension.experiment with air presures on the tires and air bag and you will hook up better.weight transfer with shocks can also be considered.have fun and be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.