Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how tall of a 15 inch tire I can install on my 67, still rotate them, and not have them hit the front fender when I turn? I was told by a guy 215 was the tallest 15 inch tire I can fit. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
By the way, this should have been in the wheels and tire section. We just try to post in the propper place so that you can get the quickest and most accurate answer to your question without cluttering up the rest of the boards. But........all that said,

215 is not the height of the tire, but how wide it is. For example, In the front of my 67 I run 245/60/15's

I THINK that would translate into 245 mm wide, then 60% of the 245mm is how tall the tire is. 15 is of course the size of the rim. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

However, it is more than just the size of the tire. It also depends on the backspacing of the wheel. Are the front spring stock, sagging, raised higher, even with each other and so on. If you can give more details then we can give you a better answer.

-Nathan

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67Sedan2dr:

I THINK that would translate into 245 mm wide, then 60% of the 245mm is how tall the tire is.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first number (245) is the width of the tire. The second (60) is the aspect ratio between the width and the sidewall, not the height (245x.6=147 - sidewall height). Although this does effect the overall height. A 245/60x15 is approx 26.6" tall whereas a 245/50x15 is only 24.6" tall. The third (15) is of course the wheel diameter.

Is is true that the wheel backspacing and offset determines what size tire will fit. Good example: On my 67 Elky I have 15x8 rear wheels with 3.75" B/S and -19mm offset (reversed if you will) and run 235/60R15's that are 26.1" tall. On the front I have 15x7 wheels with 3.75" B/S that only have -6mm offset and run 215/65R15 tires that are 26" tall. I have a second pair of the rears that I tried on the front. The tire rubbed the front fender lip on the drivers side with the wider wheel (15x8). Physically the fronts are as tall as the rears, but the wheels aren't as wide and don't stick out as much.

On my 67 Chevelle I have 17x7 front wheels with 4" B/S and 225/50R17 tires (25.9" tall) and 17x8 rear wheels with 5" B/S and 255/50R17 tires that are 27" tall and could probably have fit 275/50R17 on the rear.

Check my site in the signature block to see both cars. Somewhere there is a router down and I can't get there for some reason.
Also have one pic of each at My Other Site.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Justfor $hit$ and grins, on my 67 el camino I just put on a set of 265/40/15's on all four corners and nowhere does it rub or scrape. The rims are rallys with 4" of backspace and are 15x8. The suspension however is a Performance Suspension Technoligies full front and rear with new body bushings, too. The springs are stock small block front and rear with KYB shocks, so it sits a little high.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67Sedan2dr:
Dale,

Thanks for the correction. Now I know for sure.

-Nathan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is a great page at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html that lets you play with tire/wheel sizes. Gives you sidewall, radius/diameter, circumference and revs per mile. You can actually put in two different tires (before and after) and compare the two without having to do one, right the numbers down, and do another. Also has a rough picture showing the two sizes compared - side view and tread width.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.