Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a decal for my 70 ss,at the the top it has a box with AO in it.I seen a one on a car with BC in a article in the Chevelle Report.It States that box 105 should have the code BC.Also the part# on the the decal in bought is different from the one on the car in the pic.Would to know which is correct for my LS6 car.Thanks

------------------
Ray Griffin
70 LS6

·
Registered
964 Posts
Different cars had different codes.LS-6 cars didn't only use one suffix.Many were used.In order to find the correct one for your car you need to see what the buildsheet says.If no buildsheet,then who is to say it is wrong.
Reproduction is never very accurate.Close but no cigar.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

[This message has been edited by mr70 (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Looking through my stack of 20 or so 70 build sheets only 2 SS cars had different letters in that box.They both were L78 cars and had an EZ in box 105.It is safe to say that BC was the correct sticker for your car.Contact Jim Osborne reproductions at 770-962-7556.He has the correct BC sticker.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My Z28

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ray
I show 4 different suffix codes on a 1970 Chevelle Super Sport. BC-BD-DW-EZ.Without a buildsheet,you could probably use anyone you wanted.Again these were not engine specific.All used them.
My Sept.69 built L78 has a BC code in box 105.
Therefore it is not "safe to say that BC is correct for your car".There were 3 other possibilities.Jim Osborn does carry these,but they can be found at other parts vendors also.Sometimes for less money.Try PhoenixGraphix.
If you really want to be as close as possible,e-mail your build date and plant.I will match you with a similar cars tire psi decal code.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
To support the previous posts, my 70 SS build sheet shows BC in box 105 also. Box 106 shows F70x14-B/2&2-BB--LTR. I have a KC-Leeds L34 Jan '70 built car. I am also in need of this sticker. I ordered from GU about 8 months ago and still have not received. (will cancel backorder since incorrect... since I am doing a "correct" resto)

[This message has been edited by Super70 (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered mine from ground up and it has AO in the box.They must have used the wheel code the decal i recieved.Thanks for the responces.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I haven't found anybody except Jim Osborne who carrys the correct BC label.Last year Charles Biele(Black LS6) had to make a special request for them to make the BC sticker because it seemed no one else carried it.I only show two codes for ss cars BC and EZ but I am sure there are more.The BC code seemes to be most popular and its available unlike the rest mentioned.One thing for sure is that AO sticker is incorrect.I have L34 build sheets with the BC sticker and it is regarded as the "correct" sticker to use among Chevelle gurus such as Jeff Dotterer the late NCOA chief judge.Therefore I stand by my statment"BC is correct fo your car."

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
My Z28

[This message has been edited by LS6-M22 (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
638 Posts
FWIW - My L-34 has code BC in box 105. Built in Baltimore, 3rd week of January 1970. Could these have been TIRE specific? My car came with the Firestone RWL "Wide O Oval. Someone will know better than me, but I suspect there may have been other brands of tires used and this may be the difference.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
It may be tire specific but my LS6 came with uniroyals and has BC.I did find EZ also available in the reproduction circle but don't think too many came with that code.Every Baltimore and Atlanta built SS I seen had BC in box 105 so perhaps its plant specific with other plants using a handful of different labels ????Unless your car didn't come with F70X14 white lettered tires from the factory I would use BC label.There were optional white strip tires that could have carried a different label....

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
My Z28

[This message has been edited by LS6-M22 (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,758 Posts
The one I got from Year One which was supposed to be correct for a '69-'70 has DC on it. Guess it's not correct.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't have the details but perhaps I can shead a little light on the basics here.

By law, the tire pressure label had to provide the following info:
- Recommended tire pressure (duh)
- Tire size and load range
- Seating arrangement & capacity
- Recommended maximun trunk loading

A BP label is for a car with:
- 24 psi recommended tire pressure
- G70 or G78-15 load range B tires
- Bench (6 pass) or bucket (5 pass) seating
- 200# maximum trunk load

The code from the build sheet is the final answer.

Tire manufacturer is not a factor in determining the tire pressure label code.

If you all could post the relevent info for your car or label, I think we can sort this out.

Note - I was the responsible engineer for Oldsmobile tires, wheels and wheel trim including tire pressure labels and GVWR/GAWR rating from 1972 to 1976

------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.