Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happend.... someone bought my 69 Chevelle SS. Actually, I just got a deposit but the guy is real anxious to get started on finishing my project car. I had the same old reasons for needing to sell it: house, wife, family, two young kids, job etc etc...so my question is, how do I get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach?? Anyone got any ideas on how to get over the "blues?"
I do have a line on a 1980 Malibu Classic that is real nice, but it is just not the same.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Buy another 64-72 right away! Make sure its a #5 basket case. Put it in your front yard and start a frame up right away. Let your wife know that this is how its going to be and that you can't change who you are. Max out your credit cards on repro parts and spend every waking moment under it. This is the ONLY solution.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
527 Posts
Now you'll be the guy at the gas station that says I used to have a 69 ss regreting that he sold it. If you can deal with that sell it. Hopefully you're selling it at a price that makes your pocket book happy to overcome the guilt. Or hang on to it and you'll have something to do when you retire. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
(1) Did you consider selling the wife, take the kids to your parents to stay. You'll have a few x-tra bucks then.(2) Tell the wife she needs to get another job, cause you don't have enough money to finish the car. There are all kinds of options. (3) She can divorse you, take the support check and finish the car for herself. It would still be in the family,"kind of." You can tell her you still love her lots and maybe she'll let you drive it on weekends. Jameel's post isn't that bad either. Lifes' a struggle :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Jameel's way is the only way to kill the blues , the rest are temporary fixes to a permanent longing, sorry, sounds like its in your blood, and its malignant, get another car, Good Luck L89SEDAN

·
Registered
32 Posts
As stated above, you have to get another old car, one that you can work on. I can relate to the restrictions a family puts on the hobby. I have 3 kids (one in college) and a nice wife. I don't have a show quality, 10 second car. I have a decent malibu hardtop that I use for my daily driver. I've been fixing it up for about 6-7 years. The kids always love it when I drop them off or pick them up in this car. The older daughters always take their male friends out to the garage to see it.

I also have a 4 door nova my high school daughter drives. Picked it up for $600, did about $100 tune up. It was a great student car. Then she wrecked it, and I spent about $300 on another clip. Kept me busy all summer, and I loved it. Get a similiar car to satisfy your taste for the sport.

Got to go home and fix the driver window on the nova. Good luck, and keep your dream but you family must come first.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did the same thing about 20 years ago. Like you, something had to give and the fast cars were it. Lasted about 10 years. Enjoy the time with the family while you can. Muscle cars will always be there when you're ready. Might be electric powered, but you might change the diodes or add some high flow windings or something. tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take your time to find something you really like and buy it! But start looking now! Even if you have to set it aside for awhile, it'll be there. You can collect stuff for it here and there as the pocketbook allows and when the time is right you can jump into it. Point being is that you will have something in your possession, even if you can only talk about it. No question, family is first and I admire you for making the sacrifice. But, my wife knows I would be totally miserable without something in the garage to play with.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The dudes are right! Get another old car. But no Fords!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Convince your wife that it is better to spend your time restoring a classic than out chasing skirts, blowing your money on booze, shooting dice with the boys or whatever. When you're in the garage working on the car, at least she knows you're not out doing any of the above. Get her interested in your hobby by taking her to the car shows in your area. Local car shows have become sort of a social gathering event for many and you often see husbands, wives, and kids at these events. Showing their cars becomes a family affair. The only way to cure the post Chevelle blues is to find another project and get started asap. But be sure to get the family involved. Don't force them or slave drive them, just involve them in way that makes it fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do drugs. Take up skydiving. Helicopter skiing. Cliff diving. And, suddenly the Chevelle is the "healthy" choice. The Chevelle is way cheaper than therapy. I know. My wife knows the equation: El Camino=sanity.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Go out car shopping for a new car that might meet your speed need. Carefully record the price. Now go buy a Chevelle - any condition from basket to concours - then enjoy.
P.S.- get your priorities right; man CAN live on beer alone. Home appliances are expendable. Heating the house is only an option. Home and life nsurance is not mandatory. Retirement money may never be needed.
See; there are lots of potential funding sources.
If all that doesn't help, maybe make detailed plans for the time when you DO have the time and money.What I would do is - - - - -

------------------

·
Registered
321 Posts
Randy Mosier has the right idea. When my mother once groused that I spent too much money on my car and bikes I replied, "what would you rather I spent it on... drugs, alcohol, sex?" Case closed.

In all seriousness, I know a man whose wife had come to this very logical conclusion. Some guys are VERY easy to please. Give us an old car and a little affection and we'll always be home in the garage, ever faithful.

Sit, boy, sit. Good dog!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If money is a factor, buy a runnable beater of some sort, like perhaps a plain Malibu. Make it a challenge to keep it going with a minimum of expense. Convince yourself that what's important is your happiness in working on the car, no matter what others think of it's condition. Scrounge junk yards for parts, paint it with spray cans, do home-made flames, whatever. Someday when the $$ are there, you'll have something to tear apart and really build up, but for now "Drive What Ya Got".

·
Registered
367 Posts
Randy does have the right idea...obviously Michael J hasn't had a wife and family YET. With three in college, my money doesn't flow like it used to. You buy what you can when you can. My '67 was a shell and, slowly but surely, (A year and a half now) it's getting ready for the road. I spent a good part of the winter doing indoor chores (painting, fixing, etc) but spring is coming. She knows where I'll be spending a lot more time when the weather improves. And I sure won't feel guilty because the other stuff is done. I'll be firing up the engine for the first time and driving it for the first time since I brought it home. It'll still be pretty ugly, but what will it matter...It looks pretty good from behind!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys, but I must say that my wife has grown up around muscle cars her whole life so to own and restore one is old hat to her. It really was not her decision to sell it...mostly mine. I felt that I did not have the time to devote to finish her up so the next best thing was to let another devoted to the preservation of automobile history take over. Anyways, I will be looking for a turn key "ride" in the interim until I can afford to find the Chevelle of my dreams.... thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Buy a $1 to $2000 chevelle. Make sure you talk your way to a killer of a deal. You know, giv'em a taste of the "chevelle blues". If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a chevelle of a different year/model. Right now I have a 69. If I happen to part from it one day (over my dead body), My next car would be a 67ss. Something to think about.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Could i have some info on that 69. How about i drive a malibu to your pad and tow away the SS. I'll leave it with a full tank.What do ya say??.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.