Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm going to Anaheim California in a couple of weeks. Any tips on good sites to see - especially car-related? I know about Disneyland & Knottsbury Farm already. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, its not in anaheim, but the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles is usually a place to go for car people. There is also the NHRA Museum out by the Pomona Fairplex. Not close, but not too far. What dates are you comming out here? I believe, but do not remember when, that the Long Beach Grand Prix is also comming up sometime. Thats a really good time as well, but tickets can get expensive and parking is a pain.

If your planning on going to the beach, Huntington Beach/Newport Beach are closest...I know there is more to do, but my brain isnt working.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I am 40 miles E. of San Francisco but we make that trip about a dozen times or more a year (Disney annual pass holders), In Anaheim itself there is very little to do other than the Disneyland resort. Of course there is a ton to do there, besides the 2 theme parks (California Adventure is better IMO, more big kid rides) there is Downtown Disney which offers a dozen or so restaurants, House of Blues who always has somebody playing, outside live music, ESPN zone for those big kid video games (some kick ass Indy and NASCAR games), and just lots of family fun and shopping. We like to detour into Hollywood (about 40 minutes from D-land) and walk around. There is a friken awesome hot dog stand just off Hollywood Blvd called "Pinks", if you go anywhere near there you have to stop. The best hot dogs I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You could go to Irwindale speedway - 1/8 mile track in Irwindale Calif. They have a oval track and the straight thing. The local door slamers run there every thursday night. Its only a few minutes from me, But I have never been there. Dave and Busters, Its a dinner and a ferckin huge arcade vidio games etc. could be fun if you like that stuff.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or do you mean drugs, strip clubs and hookers ?
This would be OK if my wife wasn't going...
Thes are good tips, thanks. I'll be out around the 21st for 4 days, in between pomona meets, unfortunately. But these are some great ideas, so I should be in good shape. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/index2.html this is a very nice collection, if you can, call ahead and see if you can get tickets for across the street. this site is for the museum, but there is another collection in the main office across the street, it is done by guided appt. only, and there are other things, such as a great hood ornament collection, a pipe organ collection, howard huges steam powered car, some of the most amazing marble walls and floors you'll ever see. well worth the trip.

i know there is a new show/swapmeet in the o.c. that's supposed to be fairly soon. i'll try to find the specifics and see if it falls into your schedule.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
I grew up and went to school in Anaheim...Ball Jr. High...Loara High grad (A long time ago!)

If you want to do something car related...you have to get up fairly early in the morning and drive to the beach...the Donut Derelicts cruise in is SoCal's version of the Pavillions show here in AZ. It starts at 6:30am and is over by 9am?

Here are some shots from one I attended last year...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes, Donut Derelicts is pretty cool and will have all sorts of cars (read: old 30's coupes to modern day exotics). Its on the corner of Magnolia and Adams in Huntington Beach. The parking lot will fill up every Saturday.

Actually, I haven't been in a while, but last time I was there I saw a newer black Ferrari back right into the quarter panel of a pristine original 55 Bel Air. Everyone was yelling at him to stop and then just stared wondering who was gonna come kick his butt.

PS: Does any know who owns the chevelle in the second picture? I want to know what color that is.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I grew up and went to school in Anaheim...Ball Jr. High...Loara High grad (A long time ago!)
Well, I guess that's two Loara High School grads on this board :)....

Super Chevy Show will also be at California Speedway from Mar. 23-25.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
Well, I guess that's two Loara High School grads on this board :)....

Super Chevy Show will also be at California Speedway from Mar. 23-25.
Okay...I graduated in 1978...LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again, looks like I'll have plenty to do!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I'd update you all on what I did in Anaheim. I didn't get as much time to do car-stuff as I'd hoped, but I did get to the NHRA Museum. That was great, lot's of history there. There was no event going on that day, so I had the place to myself. Well worth the trip. I was going to go to the Peterson museum as well, but I ran out of time. We also went to Disneyland & California Adventure, they were both fun, but they're definitely a lot smaller than Disneyworld in Florida. I went on the California Screamin' rollercoaster and didn't even get green - a big feat for me, since I'm not a rollercoaster guy. We also drove up thru Hollywood & Beverly Hills. Stopped by Pinks for a 'dog, but the line was HUGE - not worth waiting in for me. We went to Universal Citywalk, though it was too late to get in to Universal City. We never hit any beaches, because it was mostly foggy/cloudy, but next time I'm out West we'll definitely do some beaches and the PCH, among other things. Thanks again for everyone's tips, wish I would've had a bit more time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.