Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share a mistake I made with everyone so others can learn from my (idiot) gauge conversion.

Most of the problems I read about seem to be grounding issues, but tracking them down can be a nightmare for those like me that are not so hot at the electrical stuff. Anyway, about a year ago I installed a new gauge cluster (hoping all the gauges would work, they were original) and got a lot of help from John Muha, Elree Colby and others here. Thanks to them, the process was relatively simple.

However, my temp gauge wouldn't work right, no matter what I tried, and when I was done my windshield wipers would go go nuts - run constantly and not shut off. Not a big deal, since I don't drive in the rain, and I pulled the fuse. But I didn't really know if I wired something goofy or the temp gauge was bad.

Last week, I got a gauge convesion kit from the muscle factory and installed it in one afternoon. Piece of cake since I had everything else already done. In the process, I noticed that I did not hook up the ground strap on the back of the headlight switch correctly. It WAS grounded, but I didn't notice and didn't hook it up to the back of the wiper switch also. So, that ground strap which was obviously grounded, was not grounding everything it was designed to. If you have this type of problem or if someone already butchered your wiring, this could be one of your issues.

P.S. The conversion gauges from muscle factory look great and worked perfectly.
My other gauge cluster will be on ebay soon.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben, my other set is currently an idiot light setup and works perfectly.

However, I'll be converting the idiot light cluster to guages with the ones I just took out that don't all work properly. I can get too much money from it on Ebay as a guage cluster that doesn't work to let it go as an idiot light cluster. Not that I couldn't separate them, but I doubt I would get as much for them.

However, I will have the idiot lights still. (amp, temp) and a good speedo and fuel gauge for the idiot light cluster - if you find one that isn't in the best of shape, mine could help out. They just bolt onto the back of the lens housing to make either an idiot light or gauge setup. Let me know if interested.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts