Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is where I would post this, but I want to tint my 40 (64 chevelle) year old windows. How bad will it look? I know they probably have thousands of tiny microscopic scratches, but it gets extremely hot where I live and I am planning to get my interior done back to black vinyl. Has anyone done this to their older windows and how did it look?
Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i tint all my cars windows. If there are scratchs they will show, but Also depends on how dark you want the tint. the darker the more imperfections it will show. I tinted my velle in 20% and it showed quiet a few scratches. On my truck i had 5% limo tint and showed some scratchs that i never knew were there. if you tint your windows in 35% i dont think you would see that many scratches. If your worried about it you could get a black peice of shiny paper (out of a magazine) and tape it to the inside of your window in the sunlight and that would show what scratches that you have in your window.

also if your wanted your car to stay cool in the summer u have to get a metallic film. The metal in the film is what rejects the heat. Alot of tint shops install economey films. Those films do nothing to protect your inter or reject the heat. metallic films usually come with a life time warrenty. Those economic films will fade, turn purple, and bubble in a few year of direct sunlight. :cool:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Clean, clean, clean. Did I mention make sure the window is clean. And once you have it clean, clean it again. That means scrape the window with a razor blade. The biggest problem I have with window tinting is getting the window clean enough. I have done atleast 4 cars now, and have yet to get a window perfectly clean.

It was already mentioned, but buy quality tint. Now if you add up the price of tint and all the time it takes to make a window perfect. It pays take it out and get it done. Tint alone will cost at least 100$ Now you can take in, will probably cost 250$ at the most, (We have a local place that will do a car for 250 CDN, so it should be less) the windows will look perfect, and most quality shops provide life time guarantees.

Also, this doesn't really apply in your case, but if the window has some compound curves, leave it to the pros. I can honeslty say it would be impossible for any rookie to do a compound curve window and make it look decent. Like I said, I have done 4 cars, and I won't go near any hatch back window.

Later
Steve

·
Registered
167 Posts
ya make sure they are CLEAN!!!!!. also if YOU tint them you could go to a tint shop and most of them will sell you some tint. Stay way from the tint from walmart, autozone, pepboys all that tint film is cheap stuff.

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
Window tint usually turns purple from using ammonia (Windex) to clean with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts