Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69 was advertised new that it had "tinted glass". I dont have a build sheet but I know this as I have a newspaper ad, from 1969, that features my car being sold as a new car. In the ad it states tinted glass. Can anyone tell me if that meant just the windshield or was that all windows. What about the rear window in particular.
Stampings on glass tell me anything?

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
could be just the windshield or all windows, back then, it was either way. Usually, cars with A/C had all windows tinted, but not always.

IF tinted, the GM glass will have Soft-Ray etched near the glass date code etching, take a look.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok the following is what I have. I recently put in a new aftermarket windshield. It is tinted and has the antenna in it which is not correct for a 69 but that is what I needed. I believe all the side windows are original. They all say Soft Ray. Dont know how to read the date codes on glass. Here is what they say. Soft Ray/safety/a box with lof in it/ Flo Lite/AS2/JV4/solid tempered/DOT 15 M74.
I recently replaced the rear window with a rear window from a 72. Afterwards I realized it wasnt in such good shape. It has a lot of scratches. The rear window does not say Soft Ray. Guess what I am trying to figure out is if I get a new rear window should I get tinted.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I researched an old thread that had the codes. As far as dates the important numbers are JV4. The J stands for May and the V stands for 1969. Which is in line with my build date which is August 69. So I would assume a tinted rear window would be in order. I also assume a green tinted window would be what was original.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
I ordered a 69 Chevelle SS brand new and ordered all tinted glass and it was a non A/C car. When I ordered my 70 Nova SS I ordered it the same way. If your side windows are tinted they should all be tinted.

Reactions: LeoP
1 - 6 of 6 Posts