Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, thanks for all for the input on "HEI or points". I think I'll stick with the HEI and problably go with an aftermarket coil and module. My timing problem: I cannot get more than 10 degrees of centrifugal advance. My HEI has an aftermarket weight/ spring kit (the third) and none are allowing more than 10 degrees, no matter what spring set I use. I have taken the HEI out, removed cap and rotor and manually spun the weights out. It seems that the narrow leg of the weights "bottom out" against the center plate BEFORE the pins reach the end of the slot. I have verified from several sources that I have the weights/ plate installed correctly. I don't have the original weights to compare their full range of motion, but my tech book tells me that this HEI, stock, should give me 20 degrees of cent. advance. ALL aftermarket sets that I have tried do exactly the same thing. Without the weights/ centerplate installed the pins WILL bottom out, so I know the distributor mechanicals are functioning correctly. Has anyone had this problem with afetrmarket weights or am I overlooking the obvious? I am at a total loss. HELP!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Find a local shop that will re-curve your distributor for you. Should run about $50 to do this, and it will be a drop in and just about forget way of doing it. You'll end up spending much more than that to get it down to the way you want it. And a WHOLE lot less aggravation. Ask around at local shops, speed shops, tracks and the like. Chances are you'll find someone who knows a person who can do this.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Sounds like someone put a restricted movement set of weights into the HEI (you can buy them this way or weld up the elongated hole). This is done on race engines, and the initial advance is set high, so that you don't need as much advance when accelerating, its almost all in at launch, since launch RPM is high. It will idle very rough, but in a race car, idle is set high, and only used for a short time. Replace the weights with some from Accel or other company, and then go to a distributor shop as was suggested in the previous post to get the curve right for your application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.