Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anybody out there. I got a new short block 427 from a local racer and the oil gallery plugs in the back of the block were missing and the ones in the front don't have holes in them. My question is can i use regular plugs in the back and do i have to have oil holes in the front ones?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Here is a Tech Tip Bulletin from GM:Big Block Oiling-One problem with the BBC is getting oil to the front of the engine.Even though the oil pressure gauge can read full pressure,that does not mean that you have oil up through the lifters,pushrods and rocker arms.This can be the cause of lifter noise from the lifters at the front of the block not pumping up.Also,breaking in a cam can be even more difficult if oil is not reaching the front of the block during that cruciai break in procedure.GM says to replace the front plugs with updated ones with holes or to drill 0.030 holes in regular ones.This will allow the air to be pumped out the front of the block allowing oil to get to the front of the block quicker.Also before start up of a fresh motor make sure to pre-oil until you see oil come out of every rocker arm,this could take up to 20 minutes.
Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, the first motor i built was a 396 and it had holes in the front plugs and solid rear plugs and this 427 that i got has no plugs in the rear and solid plugs in front. More info on my combo, I am running a solid roller cam and roller rockers with a high volume pump. I was thinking about getting some aftermarket oil restrictors for the rear , but I was worried that it may starve my upper half of my motor like the rocker arms and lifters.

I appreciate the help guys..

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Its not a good idea to use restrictors with a solid roller set up,you want as much oil as possible to get to the lifters,the wheel/axle assemblies need lots of oil for longeivity.
Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.