Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 25 year old NAPA xenon strobe just crappped out...

what brand and type of light is considered the best buy these days??

also i never used a light with the timing adjustment knob on the back...waht is it for, waht does it do and how does it work??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
548 Posts
I won't recommend any brand there's so many but don't go cheap.The set back feature {the knob thingy}is set at the amount of advance you want,IE 12 degrees on the lite, 0 on the balancer.Just makes it a little easier the read...FRED

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a very nice Snap-On timming light , its is computerised and has a LED display , the instruction book is simple to read so dont think its a pain to use on , there not cheap though around 250.00 dont know if it will last 25 years like your old one hehe :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought mine from sears..it has the advance knob on the back which is an absolute must (for me)

I beleive it cost about $70 or so and works great...

ps- it was an upgrade from a 25+ xenon light too... it had the little spring that went between #1 plug and boot too! man what a nightmare that thing was...

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Rich, I read an article by MSD about timing lites about a year ago. They said to be weary of the adjustable timing lites as they can be very inaccurate. They made a couple of recomendations, of course one was their own and the other was by Sears. Unfortunately I don't have the article, but someone else may and in the article it listed the part number of the Sears model and I bet it would be reasonably priced. My wife bought me the MSD unit for x-mas last year. She went directly to MSD (big mistake)to buy it and when I got my Visa bill I nearly fainted!

·
Registered
133 Posts
66rat is 100% right. I have both types, and with the MSD system I have the dial type was too erratic. I went to Sears and purchased their cheaper non-dial type and it works just fine. After I got my timing set, I went back with the dial type gun. The timing was 5 degrees off and jumping. There is a section on the MSD web site that tells you this and a whole lot more about trouble shooting.

------------------
Mike Hurta
(Aug98)
Gold#25
Clute, Texas
www.chevelles.com/feature/aug98.html

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 11-29-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.