Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of those little chrome timing covers on my small block, and it was leaking, therefore I bought Summit's Aluminum Timing Cover, which stated that it fit over gear drives- hmmm.... it doesn't fit over mine. We put it on and had a real hard time getting it lined up with the oil pan. And then when we bolted it in...it cracked over my pass. side idler gear. Yet, the chrome one fit on fine... ?? I called Summit and they acted like it was all our fault and that they weren't going to do anything about it... he said that we have to grind my gears down to have enough clearance, but they didn't include any paperwork with the cover with that information included on it. I thought that was really crappy, and got mad...because now I am out of a timing cover and I am working on a deadline here... they eventually said that they would send a replacement, but that we should have known better than to just assume that the cover would bolt on without modifications... If the $10 chrome cover worked, wouldn't it be normal to assume that a $50 Aluminum one would work as well?
Has anyone had any problems like this, or I am the only one? I wasn't very happy with Summit's service or their technician there who implied that we were the ones at fault. If the timing cover or gear drives were going to require any modifications, don't ya'll think that they should have made note of that?
Just curious if anyone has had this problem before....

------------------
Julie
'71 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7827/

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 06-15-99).]

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
When changing parts such as these, you should check the clearances just as you were setting up for the first time. The GEAR DRIVE comes with instructions on where to grind and how much clearance is needed to allow the idler shaft some freeplay. When you get your new one, be sure to check it. The bottom line I guess is that the cover will work with a gear drive, if the gear drive instructions are followed. Maybe they should have dropped a note in the box warning of this.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Installed a Pete Jackson last summer in a 70 396/375 with the stock cover. No problems.
Don't forget to install the metal bolt head retainers and remember to bend them per instructions.

Mark

[This message has been edited by COPO (edited 06-15-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Raven,
The last gear drive I used was an Edelbrock on a 540 Big Block, with the Edelbrock aluminum front cover and I did have to grind the gears. I am almost certain that the instructions told me to do so. I know you probably did not have the instructions for the gear drive, but part of building engines is learning to ALWAYS check clearances on any new or unusual parts. Unfortunately I have to side with the Summit guys, you should have stoped as soon as you started having trouble and called and asked someone

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
38 Posts
The reason why the cheap $10 chrome cover "worked" and the more expensive aluminum cover didn't is pretty obvious. That chrome cover, based on it's price, was probably a thin guage flimsy cover that flexed over the idler timing gear allowing it to "fit". This flexing was probably also the reason why the cover was leaking in the first place. The new aluminum cover is of much better quality; When you attempted to bolt it down, it wouldn't flex like the old cover so therefore it cracked.

W

·
0 Posts
If you want to solve this problem without grinding on the gear drive shafts, that is what is hitting the front cover, use the Manley two piece aluminum front cover. It is a two piece unit that allows you to swap cams without screwing with the pan, the front of the cover unbolts to expose the gear set, our in your case the gear drive. The cover is machined for a gear drive, I used one it works, but you need to check like BillK said. This puppy is not 50 bucks, more like 100 to 150, but super nice.

One other thing, did you ever try to gring that stuff? It's harder than my head! I blew up a small block at the track and ran over my gear drive, not a mark!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.