Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some people tell me to put my advance on the balancer to 8 and others to 0? I just rebuilt a 350 and it wont start on the 8 degrees. Why does everyone do it different? So I will try the 0 degrees and hope that works. Anyone want to comment?
thanks
jon

·
Registered
47 Posts
My BBC is set at 20 degrees initial, without vacuum advance. At 8 degrees your engine should start fine. Make sure that you are setting degrees at BTDC (before top dead center). There may be other reasons that the engine is not starting other that the initial advance. I would try it at about 12-16 degrees initial to start with. Any more than that may cause pre ignition with bad quality gas.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
<sswinger.home.att.net>

·
Registered
330 Posts
make sure the timing pointer is the correct one for the balancer, and confirm that the balancer outer ring hasn't moved on the inner hub. If it has, the timing won't read correctly, and the balancer needs replacing. Do check it before replacing it, though.

Look for vacuum leaks and other factors for the starting problem, it shouldn't have trouble starting with as much as 20 degrees BTDC.

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Jon,
The initial advance will vary depending on a number of factors. If the motor and ignition system are both basically stock, then go with the stock settings. If either is modified, it will be a trial and error process to find what works best. Every car will be different. Jacobs Electronics has a very good book on setting up ingnition systems. http://www.jacobselectronics.com/Products/Tools.htm It should be available through your local speed shop.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 11-27-99).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheweee!!! I figured out the problem...I didnt have the #1 piston at BTDC w/ the point on #1. When i put them together, 10 degrees advanced, that baby roared awesome. What sucks is I have to connect my alternator so the belt will go on to that and the water pump so I can break in my engine...So that will be a few days.. Thanks to all who replied...I'm sure there will be more postings on my part... LONG LIVE THE SMALL BLOCK!!!!
jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.