Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as much as I hate doing it, I have to cut my losses and get rid of this basket case 70 SS396 I've been working on. My friend/bodyman has looked at the car and even he doesn't want to touch it, it's that bad. The only salvagable pieces are the doors & roof, everything else is shot, and that's not even including the interior, which is toast as well. I thought of a re-body, but I'm just going to get another car. This one is beyond saving. I'm aiming for an L78 '69SS. Let's hope I do better this time!

[This message has been edited by 4spdrat (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
sorry to hear. you sould strip any parts off it ans sell em. don't let them rust away.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just a gentle reminder, Al has a pet peeve about naming names on this site. As far as the car goes, salvage what you can and don't assume anything is junk. For instance, say the seats are worn and torn down to the frames. If the frames are in good condition, they might can be repadded and recovered. That's just an example, but the old saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure." was coined for this hobby.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
4spd,
First of all sorry to hear about your situation with the car, it's heart breaking to let go. I'm with Randy on his points. Email Al and give him the name and details so that he knows what's going on. Not a good idea to bash anybody here, whether they deserve it or not. Pick carefully through the car and find what you can to sell, and possibly partial finance your next purchase. From frame to wheels to seats to dash, and anywhere in between. Hope you have better luck with your next venture.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.chevelles.com/showroom/Riffers70_1

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I told him to email me, also, since i'm in the OKC area.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is completely gutted as we speak. As for saving parts, there isn't much. The car has a standard SS cluster w. idiot lights, which I will pull out. The back of the glove box was cut off by some former owner during what appears to be a stereo installation project, so the dash is not a great keeper. The wheels are rusted out Cragar SS mags, two of which have already been pitched. The back seat is trash ( but I still have it ) as some of the springs are rusted and broken. The front buckets were something of a Chrysler vintage and found a dumpster very quickly. The frame has damage behind the front left control arms, but this can be repaired. I swapped the non posi rear end for a posi unit. The motor and trans were traded off for other parts ( non-matching '67 396 and TH350 ). The doors are suprisingly still good but this car is in need of serious sheetmetal. Floors from firewall to rear of trunk, quarters, front fenders, hood, wheelhouses, and work around the upper rear window. A fair guess is $4500- 5000 Cdn. just to buy my sheetmetal, I still have to get it put on. A funny side note to this is in 1992 when I was hunting for a '70 SS, I came upon a '69 SS396 that i just could not say no to, and I owned until 1995. I think there are forces that do not want me to own a '70, so I'm going to get another '69.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hmmm... it was probably me that was named above. I still have my El Camino however but I'll be rebodying it in the future.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd been on your site before. Your elky is worse off than my car, believe it or not. I hope the rebody works for you. I just got spoiled when I had my 69. Built in california, spent it's life in Arizona. No rust to speak of and an easy resto. I had an opportunity to buy the car back but I couldn't afford it, so i thought I'd go cheaper and got stung.

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
hmm, sounds like someone could use a bashing, sorry to hear the car is beyond repair. It's a tough decision, but having done it myself, I haven't regretted sending a project that I felt was hopeless to someone who had more hope than I.

let me know what's up 4spdrat

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't feel too bad.It happens.Just turn your energies into recycling the next old warrior that you find and cut your losses.You don't want to spend more than you have to and it sounds like you would be going too far back before you could safely begin.Keep us posted on that 69 L-78.Shawn

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't feel too bad.It happens.Just turn your energies into recycling the next old warrior that you find and cut your losses.You don't want to spend more than you have to and it sounds like you would be going too far back before you could safely begin.Keep us posted on that 69 L-78.Shawn

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.