Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I made my new dash Ive done most all expect the turn signal bulbs and Emergancy brake light bulbs. I've heard alot of mixed ways of doing these over to LED's like the power ratings are different and draining power, etc. What power rating or types of LED's should I get? Also, isnt a diode or capacitor wired into the mix somewhere to get proper power?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
470 Ohm, 1/4W is a standard, 5 for a buck, RadioShack item. Will work with Red, Yellow, Green, Blue LEDS using 12VDC. This value will give good brightness and life.

I read this on a past post. This is for a resistor to use with an LED correct? How do they wire up?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to do this quite a few months back and had a similar post you jumped in with a link too. I think the drop ins were too big. I like the little 3-5mm radio shack ones, I was thinking about using those? LED's have 2 prongs though, I just use one end on them?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Josh This site is cool, so to settle the rest of my confusion. What size bulb-LED am I looking for on this site that will fit the original bulb slots?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not too late to do these drop in ones but I did buy some assorted LED's and resistors to do it the "long way" on the right turn signal there is a dark blue, light blue and black wires, I cant figure where the LED and resistor hook too with these. When I twist just the blue wires together the outside marker clicks. Strange, somekind of relay because if these wires arent hooked at all the outside wont work either.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I can't figure out how to mount all that stuff under there and get the dash back together.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dash is really easy access now. I fiddled with a tester LED and resistor 1/2 watt 4.7 ohms. untill I figured out which way the current was going through. I got it blinking with a battery so I knew it was set right. I then went out and wired the light and dark blue wires together and attached the resistor side to that, then the LED side of the resistor-LED tester pod! The LED other side is wired to the black wire on the car, the ground I guess, it blinks and seems to work! This resistor doesnt give me the brightness I want but it seems like a very good start. I would have used the drop in bulbs but these housing for the lights on the stock wouldnt fit in my new dash, to big and no way to mount it. Much easier with single LED's and they look real nice and clean.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I checke out your link, John, pretty slick, but $24 s bulb? I think I'll stick with incandescent.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 68Elkie:
I checke out your link, John, pretty slick, but $24 s bulb? I think I'll stick with incandescent.
Me too but some guys have the cash. They are cheaper on other sites if you stay with a blue light behind the green lens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts