Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years ago I did my homework and asked you guys what to put in my car and I was quite pleased with the outcome with the Comp cams XE262. A few things have changed and I am wanting to select another new cam, my goal is a little more power.

Here is my current setup:
355 block
Comp XE262, part 12-238-2
Summit cast iron heads 2.02/1.60, 165cc intake, 67cc chambers, new 2006
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Holley 750 vacuum
HEI
Headers
B&M 2000 stall convertor
TH350 rans with B&M transpack
Posi with 3.73 gears

This setup has good seat-of-the-pants feel, 2nd gear rubber and 3rd gear scratch. Best time of 13.87 @ 100mph with a best 60' of 2.068 on a 27" tall slick. Remember, this is all "best", in the heat of summer it was more like 14.2 or 14.3 @ 96mph and 2.1 or 2.2 60' times.

The heads are good to .520 lift (SUM-152123) but I am going to probably put roller tipped rockers on. I am not sure where the compression is at, probably about 9 to 1. Everything else will stay the same on my daily summer driver that drives 120 miles to the track and even pulls the little trailer to the track with my 4-wheeler and fire wood.

I hope to get an over-drive tranny next year but that is another conversation.

I am not set on the Comp XE cams but have had good results. I see the XE 268H and XE274H on their web site and may be good choices but I want to check with you guys before I buy something. I am going to be starting on this in 2 weeks so I can have her back on the road by the end of March!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
G

·
I'm NO dragstrip guy at all, but from what I read everywhere, you need to get your 60' times down in the 1.6 to 1.5 range and I BET it will run great like it is..

As always, jmho..

Guys, please step up and help him drop his 60' times.

I can't do it b/c I'm a First Gen. Camaro guy and we have leaf springs in the rear..

It's just that old-fashioned leaf spring "slappers" won't work here is all..........

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the cam you have great for all around power. The voodoo 60102 might be a better choice. But I really don't think it's worth the time and money to switch cams for just a 10 or 15 hp gain. This minimal gain will have no affect at the strip. In the tests I've seen the xe 268 cam does make more power but does so at the upper rpms while sacrificing everything down low. With your low compression the motor will be a pretty weak down low. I would work on tuning the chassis and current motor set up. My el camino runs 13.7 with smogger heads and an old school cam on regular radials. I have 3.42 rear, the main reason why I run the number is the truck hooks good. Suspension is stock but I guess it works ok for the current hp my setup puts out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Darren,

What do you mean you need help picking a cam. There's only 100 quadzillion cams to choose from? LOL

You and I have a very similar engine set up. I changed my cam from what you have now to the Comp 280H, part #12-212-2. I am very happy with it. It sounds great and has plenty of tork. You can feel the difference!

If it's the sound you want, Comp Cam's new one is called the "Thumper" it's basically the 280 with more duration for sound. Comp Cam also has a 282H, that would also be a good choice for your set up.

I'm running:
350 block bored .60
Comp 280H, part 12-212-2
Stock cast iron 2.02/1.60 shaved heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap intake
Edelbrock 600 cfm with auto choke
Hooker Headers with 2.50 mandrel bent pipes
B&M Torkmaster 3000 stall convertor
TH350 tranny with B&M transpack
Eaton Posi with 3.73 Yukon gears

Hope this helps,
Jimmy

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking at getting a '69 350 motor with good '69 hp heads (64cc) so I may just bolt that in and run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts