Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys,my clutch has come to a time for a replacement.
this will be my first clutch replacement on my 1970 chevelle ss 396 350 hp car.
just wanted to know some specs on what to buy,like the size of the disc and spline shaft. i am planning to buy a matching kit,maybe HAYES.
also like to hear some opinions on what clutch you feel is good.
my car has the factory M20 transmission,stock manifolds and flowmaster exhaust,also 3.31 gear ratio.
motor is at 350 hp-400 hp as the has been rebuilt with an over bore.
all opinions are appreciated. tell me the good and the bad.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I am running a 11" Hays Street/Strip set up. The Hays clutch pedal is a little heavier than stock, hooks up under any punishment and I never get clutch chatter which a lot of people say they get with Center Force dual-frictiion.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Are you buying a new flywheel as well? I bought a Hayes billet steel flywheel once for my car, and the holes were so far off I couldn't even bolt it on. Took it to the machine shop, they said "well, maybe it's for an Olds or something else"....nope. It was just a POS that didn't fit anything and would be more $$$ to fix than buying another one, so I took the ring gear off and now that sits waiting for use on my Centerforce flywheel....which is also the brand of clutch I use and love it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you buying a new flywheel as well? I bought a Hayes billet steel flywheel once for my car, and the holes were so far off I couldn't even bolt it on. Took it to the machine shop, they said "well, maybe it's for an Olds or something else"....nope. It was just a POS that didn't fit anything and would be more $$$ to fix than buying another one, so I took the ring gear off and now that sits waiting for use on my Centerforce flywheel....which is also the brand of clutch I use and love it.
i will probably just remachine the flywheel on the car,i dont think it will be in bad shape. i'll have to see once everything comes off.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I just put a Zoom 300006 in my car last fall. http://www.zoomperformance.com/30000_series.html

It is supposed to 30% more grip than stock, with a stock pedal. I have about 500 miles on it now and I really like it. Look around the internet, around $200.00.

So far I'm not dissapointed.

Rocky

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Anything but Centerforce! Junk, with no customer support. Mine and several others that I know are terrible when they get hot. They hold very well, just dont try to get in 1st or reverse when sitting still.
I've had a few Ram clutches and liked them a lot.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts