Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys; I'm alive... sorta.

Okay, here's the deal, we all know that Quadzilla is awaiting a 350, TH350, 411posi with headers and duals. I am going to be buying just about everything I'm going to need to do the job right(email me if you know somehting I might forget to get). I am womdering if any one out there has time estimates for the job:

350- Swapping all externals( and a new timing gear set and cam) and carb and intake from 307 to 350, washing and painting.

TH350- installing shift kit,B&M shifter and all reasonable gaskets and seals.

4.11 Axle- swapping brakes.

And the installation of headers and a flowmaster dual exhaust.

I will have access to 4 jack stands, hydralic jack, engine crane and engine stand.

Thanks again.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, Quadzilla! Haven't heard from you in quite a while!
Anyway, make sure you have all the nuts and bolts associated with everything you are doing. Also, get something to cover that engine while its out of the car.
Good luck and keep us posted!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
www.chevelles.com/showroom/72CHEVELLE1.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice to see you're alive QuadZ. Hope you're doing ok in school.

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well school is going well. Got mom moved into new place, life is okay.

I plan to get a complete engine bolt kit (all $120 worth) in what ARP refere to as better than grade 8 Cromolly manganesse steel. I am also trying to think up an instant garage to cover the car. I'm thinking 4x4 lumber and a huge tarp. The new house has a huge basement with 1" I beams and a ground level door so keeping the parts warm and dry won't be that bad.

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nascar can change a motor in two hours, Austin coil rebuilds em in an hour, I also think pro stock can perform a motor and tranny in 2 hours. Pick a clear day and you wont need a garage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO.... basicly 1 poor shmoe(me) and the right equipment could do this job, going from a 307/PG/2.56 to a 350/TH350/4.11 with a cam and "bolt on" change in about 3 days?

------------------
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Hey Quad,
On that engine crane, try to get a leveler with it, make's the install a bit easier, good luck

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
Quadzirra? Quadzirra! OH NO, QUADZIRRA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
And you have to say that while squinting hard!!

Quad, swapped out 396 for 427 and all pumps, etc in 7 hours. Two of us. Figure 4 more for the cam swap if you;ve never done it.

Figure 6-8 hours for the rear end redo including brakes.

3-4 hours for the T350.

Headers aren't so bad during the swap. Hang 'em in there with coathangers off the hood hinges while the mill is out and drop it in. But still 1 hour of jockeying/installing.

The exhaust could go easy or hard in my limited experience. Figure 5 hours.

What's that 25 hours. Add 50% for ol uncle Murphy and = 37.5 hours.

Get a hotel pan or two ( the big aluminum ones at the grocery store ) for catching coolant and what ever.

It's would be a great time to clean, sand, and degrease ( I used nothing more sophis than rubbing alcohol )your firewall while the mill is out. Scuff it up and hit it with Rustoleum 777.

Best advice is work with purpose but not too fast so as to forget any important details. And it always helps to have a trusty bud or two helping out.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Get a friend to help you and put the engine and tranny in at the same time. You could do it by yourself but it'll probably take twice as long, even if the other guy just stande at the car and tells you when to go down/up/forward/back. I imagine you were already planning on putting them in together, if not, it will save you a lot of time.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
58 Posts
3 days maybe. If you have everthing you need. Good chance you might half to order something. The exhuast may be a nightmare. Not trying to be negitive here just my experience. Well get going!! Let us know how long. Please.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Quadzilla, The formula I always use is once I figure out how long it will take me I times it by 4 or 5 or 6 depending on how confident I am. I use 6 if I am real sure I can do it easily. Most of the time it takes me longer because of my disability, which I've had sence I first smelled rust. I always think I can make a show car out of some brokfen down piece of junk I paid to much for. Of cource I always think I got a good deal. Anyone else have this disability?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well since christmas break is roughly 6 weeks, I figure I can't get myself into too much cheap beer and headaches.

Would it make sense to drop the engine/tranny bundle in with the headers in place or am I thinking bad thoughts again? Any recomendations on engine/header/tranny/axle paint asides from POR-15? Any special thoughts or insights I might not be remembering on this job?

BTW-Gene; the corkeys are going nicely aside from the callusing on the top side of the feet... 8( damn laces don't give at all.

------------------
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.