Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what years tilt columns will fit my 71SS?? I want to replace it, and I'm sure a number of years will fit, but which ones?? Can I go right up to the 80's??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just finished installing a tilt column in my 69 Chevelle with a column from an 80 Caprice. It connects to the stock steering shaft, but you have to use the 69 bracket that bolts it up under the dash. I removed the column shifter and filled the hole because I have a floor shift. I now have the dimmer switch operated with the turn signal lever. It works good and looks correct.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony...Happy thanksgiving... That sounds good, was it an easy swap?? Doesnt lood like it can be too bad...I'll bet I can find plenty of those columns in the junk yards, probably cheap too...I forgot about the dimmer switch, thats another benefit (sort of, I guess ) Tnx again...John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 69 El Camino and I took a tilt column out of a '71 Buick Special. It bolted right in with no mods. I think the tilt column out of any early 70's Buick or Oldsmobile will fit. Cost me $20 at the boneyard.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tnx again guys...wow, 20.00 bucks, I like that!! Im gonna have to make a trip to the local yard here before the snow flies.. John

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bolted one in my 71SS out of a 76 four door Malibou, The wiring harness, mounts and rag joint were identical. Easy swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.