Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the quick ratio Monte SS steering box in my 71 and to avoid trying to mate it to the original column, I want to put a tilt wheel from an SS in as well. Any problems in my future?

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
jpete,
there should be no problems now or in the future as this is a bolt in swap. There is no difffernece between a tilt column from a standard as far as bolt in. Just be sure you use a big block intermediate center steering shaft if you have a big block. If its a small block you are ok either way.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you explain the diffrence between these to shafts?

Thanks
JD

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JD
Late model Monte's are metric and obviously my Chevelle is standard. I'm not sure EXACTLY what the difference is but when I read about the steering box swap, it says you need some sort of adapter to mate them. I figured I just throw the whole column in and get tilt and move my shifter to the floor at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
jpete,
My mistake, I assumed you meant 70-71 Monte SS not late model. Can't help you there.

JD, the difference in the shafts is at the rag joint end. Big blocks use a splined couplibg that is removeable and uses a 12 point cross bolt to hold it on. The small block units use a welded flange and are not removeable.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Registered
49 Posts
jpete -
As you probably know, I am getting ready to do the same swap. I grabbed a tilt column out of a 77 Grand Prix that matches the 'pinch bolt' design of my original 70 column where the intermediate shaft connects. I have read that you can use the coupler (rag joint) from a 78-84 Chevy P/U with these boxes - it has the correct spline for the box and mates with the original intermediate shaft. I grabbed one at the wrecking yard yesterday, so I will be able to tell you soon if it works (Next week?). If it doesn't, I have heard Lee Manufacturing has a couple that works. They also make inserts that adapt your SAE lines to the metric box...but I found another way. If you take the pressure fitting out of the G-Body power steering pump (1" Socket), it will screw into your existing pump. Then get the hoses for the G-Body. Again this is all from what I have read, once I get into it, I will let you know what I find out!!! Hope this helps.

p.s. Thanks for the info. on the quick ratio box and prop. valves.

------------------
Brian

1970 Chevelle Malibu
355 ci with
Holley Projection-4
Global West A-Arms

Pics of My 70
Mechanic's Mathematics - Software to do Automotive Calculations
AutoBinder - Software to store information about your car (Body, Interior, Stereo, Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Suspension, Maintenance, Lists) - Coming Soon!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.