Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '73 El camino with tilt steering that has developed a lot of slop up and down
in the steering wheel as tho' the tilt lever is broken, but it stillworks fine.
You can position the wheel wherever you like, but still have the 'slop'.
The problem seems to be getting worse and I would like some ideas on cause before I tear into it.
Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

===========================================
Thanks to all who responded, the problem is solved! 1-7-2000

Thanks,
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Burk (edited 01-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Burk (edited 01-08-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
5,806 Posts
Your tilt head bolts are loose. I just fixed my daughters car this past weekend, it was the same way. You need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool, you can rent these at Auto Zone. Its not a hard job but be careful, there are a lot of small parts that can fall out.
Here is a link to 2 websites that are a big help. http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/lynx/lynz_tech.html
Ron
Email me with any questions, maybe I can help

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396, 66 Nova SS, 95 Z28 Convertible. Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

[This message has been edited by ToocoolZ28 (edited 01-07-2000).]

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
Toocool is on the money. It's one of those tasks that scare the heck out of you at first, but once you get it done (slowly and carefully) you will wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago. You need to do it SOON, it WILL get worse.
If you NEED this car for daily trans, then be sure and schedule the work at a time when you won't be rushed, in case you run into unexpected problems (you shouldn't). Do you have a service manual?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToocoolZ28:
Your tilt head bolts are loose.
(snip)
You need a steering wheel puller
Got that done........

a lock plate tool,
Is that the unit right under the turn signal
assemble that the ignition switch is in?
I've got the switch out too.
(snip)
http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/lynx/lynz_tech.html

I couldn't get either link to work.....

Sorry for the questions, it has been a long time since I've worked on a NEW car
with all these gadgets.
I only have a Motors manual, not the MFG shop manual, I think I'll have to visit the public library.

Thanks for your help Ron.
----
Bill

Email me with any questions, maybe I can help
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did this years ago on a 79 Century only to have the bolts loosen up again after a few months. If I had to do it again i would use some loctite. Not a fun job - don't do it when you're tired or rushed.

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You do need to do this soon, or else it will get worse to a point where the column won't hold itself up! Just falls in your lap!! This happened to me on an old pick-up I had, and it scared the hell out of me!!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
If you let it go to long the collar that the bolts screw into will fall apart and then it will be time for a new column. Locktite is a good idea but will only work if the both the bolt and the hole a CLEAN. Most of the ones I do will last several years and then need done again. The biggest cause is from using the steering wheel to get in or out and pulling on it to get repositioned in the seat. There are 4 bolts 3 can be gotten to easily but the pivot needs to be pulled to get to the last one. To get the pivots out put a machine screw in the threaded hole and pull straight out with a pair of pliers. They make a puller for these but not very many people have one. Watch carefully where all the pieces are and do not force anything.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.