Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know overall length of the steering
shaft. The measurement would be from the lower splined end where the pot joint attaches to the upper splined end where the steering wheel hub goes. Bought this column at swap meet and discovered shaft was not long enough to attach pot joint. Upon disassembly discovered shaft was actually two piece, upper part with yoke is press fitted into lower part. Somehow this shaft has been compressed, shortening its length. Have figured out how to lengthen but need to know correct measurement. Would the shaft from a non tilt column be the same overall length. Thank for any replies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
fv70,
I dont know overall length but yes they are colapsable columbs. I just installed mine at stering box first then pulled wheel back to fit center stud mounting inside.

------------------
Mike69SS
Fedex aircraft mechanic
Team Member #355
Horn Lake Ms.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They compress to absorb the forces of an impact such as in an accident! I dont know that I would trust it.

Something to think about.

------------------
Clark
TC #68
Ft. Polk, Louisiana

[This message has been edited by Clark (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are you talking about the lower shaft that attatches to the rag joint to the very base of the column? I have mine out right now, I'm in the process of detailing it, I can measure it if you want.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff,

I am inquiring about the shaft that is inside the column. Probably would have to have the steering wheel removed to get a decent measurement. I think the shaft you referred to is the lower shaft assy that goes from the rag joint to the column shaft and includes the pot joint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.