Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple of magazine articles on this subject and all is good and well but they just don't seem to be reality. Could some one please tell me what is involved, kind of walk through it, I'm not a great mechanic but now totaly inept and am curious if this is a project I want to tackle.

Thanx in advance guys (and gals!)

Doug in Dallas

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Doug, you didn't say what year of car, so I will tell you about the tilt/cruise column we installed in my son's 71 Malibu. I don't know what years and what other GM cars will interchange with this body, but we used a 78 Camero t&c column (probably all GM A-bodies interchange). So I know that up to 78, but NOT 79 Camero will fit (the shaft connection at the firewall is different from 78 to 79). It's easier if you remove the steering wheel first (but not required). Disconnect the shaft coupling at the firewall. Inside the car, remove the plastic trim at lower end of column (if car has a clutch, remove shaft that goes through firewall). Separate plate around lower end of column. Remove dash cover under column and unbolt column from dash. Unplug wire harness from column. Install tilt in reverse order. I promise, if you can change a flat tire, you CAN do this! It's too easy. The elec plug for a non-tilt column will need to be flipped over to plug into a tilt column. If you can afford to have your car down for a while, you might take it out and take it with you when you go shopping for a tilt so you can compare. Also, 69-later has the ignition in the column. 68-earlier in the dash. Don't let this swap scare you, it is super easy! When you find a column, clean it good, mask off the ignition/tilt handle/turn signal/flasher and paint to match (it only shows down to the dash cover). Your mama will be so proud of you.

------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.