Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys -

I am building a 496 BBC and am ready to install the timing chain set. I did a lot of searching & reading on the subject of the thrust bearing that sits (or can sit) behind the cam gear, but am hoping you can confirm the direction I am going for my particular set up is ok.

Engine block is casting # 14015445, 4 bolt main. Cam is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller with a flat nose (see pic below). Timing chain cam gear is machined for a thrust bearing, but the thrust bearing did not come with the set (I think it's missing - have to call and see if it should have been included). I am using the Cloyes 9-231 Quick Button 2 piece timing cover.

Limiting forward cam thrust is accomplished with the adjustable cam button on the timing cover. My question is really about limiting rearward movement.

When I position the cam fore / aft so that the cam lobes are roughly (to the eye) centered in the lifter bores, there is roughly .135" clearance between the machined face of the engine block and the machined recess of the cam gear.

I think I should install a thrust bearing, like this: .142" Thick Roller Thrust Bearing for Chevrolet 396-454 Big Block

With that bearing installed, I can properly set the cam thrust by gently bottoming out the cam button and backing off 1/2 turn (per instructions) and also have the cam in a "centered" fore / aft position, since that thrust bearing would limit the rearward movement of the cam, once the cam button has taken up all the play.

Does that make sense and is that the right way to go about the installation? Sorry for the long winded explanation and thank you in advance for your help!

Dan
Tire Locking hubs Automotive tire Tread Wheel
Automotive tire Tread Gear Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You are correct. The gear has been machined and no bearing. The bearing from Comp looks to be correct, or what has come on sets I have used. Call and see if the manufacturer will send you a bearing. That gear has to have a bearing and the bearing should sit slightly higher than the machined lip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for confirming sleeper - I appreciate it!

I have also read multiple posts from Tom Mobley about being careful when you mix & match timing components. I agree - that gear has to have a bearing, and it needs to be the right bearing for it (not saying the Comp Cams bearing won't work, but to your point - needs to be correct height, diameter, etc or it probably won't work with the gear I have).

I actually want to return this timing chain set anyway, so this is a good reason to do so. The sets from Cloyes and Comp Cams seem to get good feedback here, so I'll likely go that route.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Return the set and buy a Cloyes set complete with Torrington thrust bearing.
Don’t forget the bearing has to go into the cam sprocket orientated the correct way.
I like the plastic buttons because their easy to adjust by just sanding the tip until you get the correct end play.

·
Registered
12,534 Posts
Thank you for confirming sleeper - I appreciate it!

I have also read multiple posts from Tom Mobley about being careful when you mix & match timing components. I agree - that gear has to have a bearing, and it needs to be the right bearing for it (not saying the Comp Cams bearing won't work, but to your point - needs to be correct height, diameter, etc or it probably won't work with the gear I have).

I actually want to return this timing chain set anyway, so this is a good reason to do so. The sets from Cloyes and Comp Cams seem to get good feedback here, so I'll likely go that route.
I would almost bet it has a cloyes number on it from Comp.

·
Vendor
10,092 Posts
I agree. Comp and Cloyes are one and the same. I also agree Rollmaster is the best. I have found the best prices for Rollmaster on Amazon.
Just be sure you get the correct Rollmaster....had a customer get a cam with us but saved getting a "Rollmaster" set on Amazon. Problem was it was a discontinued set and and wasn't correct.

·
Vendor
10,092 Posts
I see the Rollmaster on Amazon and it's definitely cheaper than other places.

Chris - is this the right set: Straub Technologies
(*edited - Chris I didn't realize you carry Rollmaster)

Thank you all so much for your help!
Many of the items on Amazon are clearance discontinued items. Also huge difference in price between Gold and Red sets....I've been selling this stuff since 1996 when it was still owned by the Founder Bob Backum.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have bought 8 Rollmaster gold sets the last 3 years off Amazon. All were exactly as advertised and fit perfectly. Ebay is another story.

I have one left in stock. Reading off the box it says: P/N CS2040 Chev BB Torrington bearing set std. , Both sprockets nitrited, IWIS pro series chain. This is still sealed in the box. Same as all the others I bought. All worked fine with as much as 350 seat pressure and over 900 open valve spring pressure.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,714 Posts
I bought my Rollmaster timing set from Chris @ Straub Tech but we didn't drill the block for extra lube to the Torrington bearing, will not having that hole create a problem?

·
Vendor
10,092 Posts
I bought my Rollmaster timing set from Chris @ Straub Tech but we didn't drill the block for extra lube to the Torrington bearing, will not having that hole create a problem?
Won't be an issue...it gets oil from pan area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts