Team Chevelle banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK, with all that said, then if it were my car, I would do a serious cleanup and some detailing under the hood. If the plan is to rebuild the original engine in the future, I WOULD KEEP IT and open it up to a 383. Since you are in Texas, I'd also consider adding an aftermarket air cond unit. And I would keep it and drive it.
We bought our 70 conv 24yrs ago for a good price and today I could sell it for a VERY GOOD profit. But we bought it to have a Chevelle, NOT as an investment.
Yea, that's kinda the plan. It's already willed to my daughter. (because I sold her 71 GMC stepside big block that I built back in the day). Haha (I sold "her" truck).

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,779 Posts
I think the Heavy Chevy and Rally Nova have a lot of eye appeal. They don’t get the respect of their SS counterparts but they could be optioned with most of the performance options. A guy I worked with had, probably still does, has one with a 402 big block and a 4 speed.
I seen a nice Green Rallye Nova yesterday while at work, Edit thought I seen an E in Rally on that Nova, OP I really like your Heavy with the black 5 spokes on it (y) (y) :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I love that car. You don't see many around anymore.
I have a base Chevelle that has the same door panels and can not find anywhere. I had to order the regular Malibu panels instead. Bummer.
Thanks! Yea, these door panels are in pretty decent shape. I'd hate to have to try and find a set in the same color. Might be impossible. Just like trying to find the original vinyl floor matt, impossible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Very nice and amazing condition! Really cool that it came with a 12 bolt. I don't know anything about options or production numbers with the 12 bolt but I'd think it's not that common. Right?
Thanks! Not sure but I believe that if you ordered a Heavy with the L48 350ci 4 barrel or the 402ci you got a 12 bolt.

·
Premium Member
24,699 Posts
GREAT Heavy Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!
The wheel upgrade was a GIANT upgrade! I've never liked the 14in Ralleys-----------------------but I was not going to say a word -------------------until after I scrolled down and saw the 5 spoke wheels. I really like them.
And here i was thnking EXACTLY the opposite.

NICE RIDE MAN! TO Tom's point, black and gold goes much better together than silver and gold. I knew when you said front discs those old silver rallies were gone! they do have a hint of nostalgia to me. I forget mine were 14", I had "remembered" 15"

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours - right back at ya!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And here i was thnking EXACTLY the opposite.

NICE RIDE MAN! TO Tom's point, black and gold goes much better together than silver and gold. I knew when you said front discs those old silver rallies were gone! they do have a hint of nostalgia to me. I forget mine were 14", I had "remembered" 15"

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours - right back at ya!
Believe it or not. Those original 14" rallies worked with the disc brake swap, wheel weights had to be the clamp on the outer part of the rim type. The stick on type hit the caliper.

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
I think the Heavy Chevy and Rally Nova have a lot of eye appeal. They don’t get the respect of their SS counterparts but they could be optioned with most of the performance options. A guy I worked with had, probably still does, has one with a 402 big block and a 4 speed.
That's true but probably goes back to how GM marketed a couple of different make A-body's for insurance $$ reasons,to market to a younger less monied buyer and also to drum up sales somewhat.
These included the Heavy Chevy,Pontiac T37,and Olds Cutlass S. All were available as stripped down models or optioned up cars.
Here's an article on the Heavy from Hemmings :

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1971-72-chevrolet-heavy-chevy-chevelle
and here's a period sales brochure :

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
Thanks! Not sure but I believe that if you ordered a Heavy with the L48 350ci 4 barrel or the 402ci you got a 12 bolt.
That's true but not only the Heavy I think ALL Chevelle's with an L48 got the 12 bolt because over the years many people on TC have chimed in with there 12 bolt equipped Chevelle coupes wagons and ElCo's too.

Reactions: 68Malibu

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
I love the colors on your car and the new wheels are a great upgrade.
Also like the flag on your garage wall. Looks like your heart is in the right place.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Car is an outstanding time capsule. Thanks for sharing!
Love the new wheels and tires, BTW. Perfect choice!

·
Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
8,300 Posts
Thanks! Yea, these door panels are in pretty decent shape. I'd hate to have to try and find a set in the same color. Might be impossible. Just like trying to find the original vinyl floor matt, impossible.
Regarding the original vinyl floors... ACC makes one, although its car agnostic so won't show up if you are just seaching products by year/make, and its not advertised in most repop catalogs- but it is available.

I have a 300 series that originally had the vinyl floor (which killed the floor pans in most cars that had them btw!) and I briefly looked into getting one. There are folks with the ultra rare 69 2 door post SS cars doing nut & bolt restorations that are running the ACC vinyl floor and have had decent luck with them.
Its not a perfect reproduction of original (pebbling and such), but they are the closest you can get unless you find an NOS one!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts