Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my clutch together and I need to know how far into the clutch fork does the throwout bearing go. All the repair manuals I have do not cover this part. On my first go at it, I installed the bearing all the way on the fork, attached the fork to the ball stud and noticed that the throw out bearing was off center to the left. How should the throw out bearing be installed on the fork? How much "play" should there be initially prior to clutch adjustment? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
when you install the tranny,the t.o.b.will move out the fork a little to line up. was the fork and bellhousing in the car before,if so did it work?I dont think you have a problem unless the throw out bearing has to move out of the fork more than a half inch,if so this may cause problems.are you using a blowproof?is it really of of the center when in the fork?maybe the wrong lenth fork?67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-15-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Use a clutch alignment tool (5 bucks,wood,ok from the zone). It will put it close enough to fit the shaft.
Harley

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Yep,
They're right. When you stab the tranny, that will center up the bearing.

------------------

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The bearing "rides" on the input shaft collar of the transmission. The fork only controls the inward and outward motion. Be sure there is some white lithium grease inside the bearing collar to allow it to slide on the transmission smoothly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also be careful how you install the bearing in the fork. If you don't get the little retaining clips on the fork correctly, you will not realease.

The little ears on the TO bearing go under the fork lip, not over, as some people may think. It's kind of hard to describe, but hopefully you will know what I mean when you look at it.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS Camaro
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" Rear
70 Malibu
SB350 & TH400

Gold Member # 103

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responces. I have a Lake wood bellhousing and a Richmond 5 speed trans. The pivot ball is located exctly as the stock bellhusing. I have a new fork that is the same length as stock. I believe I have the t.o.b. on the fork correctly. When I put the trans in,it pulls the t.o.b. outward to where it's just riding on the fork. Is that correct install? Maybe I need to find out if Lakewood has a fork specifically for the bellhousing?

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
If I understand you correctly, That's where it should ride. Sounds like you're fine.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.