Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

Registered
We always used Leak Lock on refrigeration fittings

馃槀 I used to yell at the people who used that stuff on flares. I鈥檇 redo the flare to repair the leak made a bunch of money because of that blue leak sealant. Only that nylog stuff would seal a none flare fitting like a service cap on a AC unit.
Had a guy that would leak seal the service ports on refrigeration equipment. I finally showed him the packing nut could be loosened and tightened.

Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I learned of Nylog Blue in a Mini Split a/c class about 6-7 ? yrs ago and instructor said Never use Red Nylog unless you NEVER want the fitting to come apart, Jason I'll look into the Pipestik you posted

Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The permatex "300" is what I used last time, probably why it leaked, online ordering Gasoila since nobody local carries it

Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb鈥檇 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah I remember my dad using it on washing machine water pumps when he rebuilt them in the 70/80's, I ordered a 4 oz can of Gasoila should be here Thursday if Amazon shows up

Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb鈥檇 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt

Registered
66 chevelle
I would redo my crimps and fittings .Gas should never need anything on pipe compression fittings,if it leaks its not tight enough or gauled fittings.I have used various things over the years and got away with teflon tape but learned that anything you put on it can dislodge and leak.A tight leak free fit is the only way with fuel or brake fluid.
I agree but with today鈥檚 materials and not knowing what country they come from things don鈥檛 always
Go together right 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Premium Member
This is what I use on my gas tank fittings鈥

I used aviation before the tru blu. Aviation leaked, tru blu held. The problem with Gasoline, is once open it has a shelf life and will harden in the can after a while. I used it alot when rebuilding outboard carbs. Good stuff to be sure but not always available.

J

Registered
Blue Magic. Look into it. You can Run it on everything. Leave it in the van all winter over 2 years old still works like new. Never gets hard to remove and never leaks. Also did I mention you can use it on everything?! Lol also works great as an anti seize as a byproduct. Iv been using it on bbc open head studs and bolts forever. Never have an issue.
I should state that you cannot use it on Hvac flare, double flare and double taper flares that are designed for 500psi. That is reserved for nylog, if anything is needed.

Premium Member
I used aviation before the tru blu. Aviation leaked, tru blu held. The problem with Gasoline, is once open it has a shelf life and will harden in the can after a while. I used it alot when rebuilding outboard carbs. Good stuff to be sure but not always available.

J
I hate auto correct.... Should have said, "the problem with gasolia".

Thanks
J

Reactions: shovelrick

Premium Member

J
Hmm鈥.never had it leak for me. Course now it probably will.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Finally got the Gasoila, gotta get to fixen it now
Hand Drinkware Fluid Finger Food

Registered
Guys, many commented here about using thread sealants on fittings. But the only fitting that can benefit from a sealer is tapered pipe threads where the threads do the sealing. Straight threaded fittings like compression fittings or flare fittings will not be improved by sealants of any kind since the seal is not at the thread.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Third times the Charm..I hope, Going to try to get on it some time tomorrow and take it for a spin Sat (y), instructions don't say if there's any set time and I'm guessing not since it's Non Setting but I feel better letting it sit over night, I'm just getting old I guess lol

Premium Member
Bill
You don't need to let it sit. Try it right after you assemble it. As I mentioned before, any sealer should have worked. You have a problem with the threads or a cracked fitting.

Registered
Loctite 565 High Performance is what we use on our aircraft and after finding out about it I purchased a tube and threw all the tape in the garbage! (y)

Product Liquid Fluid Font Material property

Gold Founding Member
If you are using any form of thread tape--white, yellow, purple with pink polka-dots--you are BEGGING for trouble. I don't care how it goes together--someday it's coming apart, and that shredded tape will go EVERYWHERE you don't want it. Teflon (PTFE) tape has no business in a fuel or oil system, anywhere on a vehicle. It can work wonders on compressed-gas piping in a residential or commercial setting.

Loctite 565 High Performance is what we use on our aircraft and after finding out about it I purchased a tube and threw all the tape in the garbage!
Loctite 565, 567, or 592. All are superb. 592 tends to be the easiest to source around here--most of the auto parts stores carry 592, but maybe not the others.

All of these are "Teflon" (PTFE) based, but with anaerobic hardener included--it doesn't just dry, it "cures" to prevent leaks. It's similar to a thread locking compound; but removable and (relatively) easy to clean-up for reassembly.

EXTREMELY recommended.

Anyone besides me think the recurring problem with leaks at the fitting at the bottom, is because the threads on the fitting don't match the threaded hole they're screwed into? If that's pipe thread on the "OUT" like the "IN" fitting, why are there no threads showing???

I think he's crammed the wrong adapter into the regulator.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts