Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,361 Posts
I just use the white tape….just have to be careful wrapping it. Or the brown liquid aviation sealer.

·
Premium Member
6,951 Posts
What's leaking the pipe fitting or the compression fitting. #2 or #3 Permatex for the pipe fitting and if the compression fitting is leaking it needs to be replaced.

Teflon tape is like the plague for hydraulic and fuel systems. It's not so much the initial application if done properly, but the subsequent assembly or disassembly of the unit where contamination occurs. In either system, one stray piece of teflon tape will ruin your day. If you want to use Teflon, use the paste as it breaks down in these systems.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I would redo my crimps and fittings .Gas should never need anything on pipe compression fittings,if it leaks its not tight enough or gauled fittings.I have used various things over the years and got away with teflon tape but learned that anything you put on it can dislodge and leak.A tight leak free fit is the only way with fuel or brake fluid.
I agree with you that you "should" never need anything on the fittings but sometimes things aren't perfect. In my case where the Try Blu sealant was used, I had a fuel sump that would not tighten up enough to seal. I was approaching the point of thread failure which would have necessitated tank removal and welding a new fitting on. I believe it was 1/2" NPT to a male -10 AN. Maybe the sump fitting was damaged from its initial welding, who knows, but the Tru Blu flat out worked !

Thanks
J

Reactions: DUTCH MAX HEADWORK

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
If it was me and Permatex #2 or #3 didn't work, I'd give Hylomar a shot. Rolls Royce uses it..on their jet engines.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The leak is coming from the OUT of the regulator where the AN fitting threads into it, that I'm sure of, well 99% sure

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is what I use on refrig threaded fittigs, Nylog Blue Edit just noticed I need to paint this white box lol

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That’s a lot of products to own that $1.95 stick I put a picture up of does everything and doesn’t expire.
LOL...
La-CO Markal makes a lot of different products, just like Gasolia. I'm not sur that stick would be my first choice for fuel systems.
"Use the PIPETITE-STIK for sealing water, steam, air, natural gas and LP gas."
I don't see anything in it's application for gasoline or methanol/ethanol.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I'll find Gasoilla, this will be third time trying to fix this leak I don't want a 4th, I've had enough practice already, Gasoila is what the guy was using for thread sealant on a gas station pump when I had stopped for gas and walked over and asked what he/they used in his trade

·
Gold Founding Member
64,350 Posts
We always used Leak Lock on refrigeration fittings

21 - 40 of 101 Posts