Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this but Im having a problem with a fuel leak at the bottom (out) threaded fitting, first I tried things I already had #1 Red high tach, it lasted a month or so and started leaking so I took it apart and cleaned with paint thinner then Brake Klean then used Permatex brushable IIRC #3 and it lasted a couple months and started leaking and I dont even drive the car just idle/rev and tinker (theres a reason Im not driving it) So whats a good sealer since my stash of sealers seem to not work?

·
Registered
Ryan
584 Posts
I got the same regulator. I just use a small bit of ARP thread sealer. No leaks.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try the Yellow tape since Lowes & Home Depot are so close to me if I had the arm of a baseball pitcher I could hit them from my backyard lol, Well they're very close by and I never knew anyone made a Teflon tape for gas so I Gotta try it ;) If it leaks after that I'll flip a coin as to which to use either ARP sealer or Permatex #2

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Not saying teflon tape won't work. It will, just don't let any strings of it get into the carb. But that yellow stuff "for gas" means natural gas, propane or other gaseous substances and does not mean gasoline. It will work because it's teflon tape, but normal cautions apply.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ahh Nat gas that makes sense why its sold at home improvement stores, maybe Ill just pick up some permatex #2 locally, ARP Id have to order, seen a guy a few years ago working on a gas pump and asked what they use on threads he said IIRC Oilola but Ive never seen it sold anywhere, edit Amazon has it $17 a pint but it says for E10 E85 guess it works for non eth gas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The yellow is thicker than the white and is required by some building codes to be used on natural gas and propane lines.

If you enlarge the picture above. The label also states gasoline as well as other substances.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Not saying teflon tape won't work. It will, just don't let any strings of it get into the carb. But that yellow stuff "for gas" means natural gas, propane or other gaseous substances and does not mean gasoline. It will work because it's teflon tape, but normal cautions apply.
Ahh Nat gas that makes sense why its sold at home improvement stores, maybe Ill just pick up some permatex #2 locally, ARP Id have to order, seen a guy a few years ago working on a gas pump and asked what they use on threads he said IIRC Oilola but Ive never seen it sold anywhere, edit Amazon has it $17 a pint but it says for E10 E85 guess it works for non eth gas?
Read the label in the first picture (which is why I included the picture), it specifically says it's for gasoline. Normal teflon tape will leak (I know, I tried it).

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
I have never had any problems with any regular Teflon paste or tape. Check the threads again or replace the fitting.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try the yellow tape " In handling of Gasoline" & "Min 2 wraps" I've always done min of 3 wraps on water fittings, had a little too many wraps once on an old plastic drain pan for an ac and cracked the drain pan, just thought I'd throw that info in just in case anyone ever runs across doing that type of job

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Ive used the yellow tape, #2 and the Permatex Aviation Sealant. #2 will get solid. Permatex aviation will always stay soft but works great.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I'll try the yellow tape " In handling of Gasoline" & "Min 2 wraps" I've always done min of 3 wraps on water fittings, had a little too many wraps once on an old plastic drain pan for an ac and cracked the drain pan, just thought I'd throw that info in just in case anyone ever runs across doing that type of job
When it comes to wrapping tape, before I wrap the threads I connect the 2 pieces together first to see how tight it is first, then that usually tells me how many wraps it'll take to seal it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Don’t use Teflon if you have access to blue magic. Go to the local plumbing supply store and ask for it. Use it everyday on oil/fuel/gas/propane. Never a problem and you can still take it apart

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The Permatex I used is at the car, IIRC it's #3 with the brush in the lid, I'll be fixing the leak later today or tomorrow Edit Blue Magic? I'll Google it, It's sold at a local plumbing supply and in stock but I'm trying the yellow tape 1st, wont need to wait for anything to set and I'm thinking holiday weekend the plumbing supply is closed

·
Premium Member
17,694 Posts
I have never had any problems with any regular Teflon paste or tape. Check the threads again or replace the fitting.
NEVER around fuel, the tape that is. At least I;ve been told, Plus had it shred and clog before. House plumbing only.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
If the yellow tape doesn't work, try "Try Blue" pipe thread sealant. I had a similar problem on my gas tank sump. I tried everything listed above and a member here suggested Try Blu. I cleaned the surfaces, applied and let set overnight and its never leaked a drop; highly recommended !

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I wouldn't ever use tape sealant on an automotive fuel fitting. Pieces can get in the carb. Paste sealant on taper fittings. No sealant on flare fittings.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would redo my crimps and fittings .Gas should never need anything on pipe compression fittings,if it leaks its not tight enough or gauled fittings.I have used various things over the years and got away with teflon tape but learned that anything you put on it can dislodge and leak.A tight leak free fit is the only way with fuel or brake fluid.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts